[MUD-Dev] Re: Nutirtion and a Resource Question

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Mon May 26 23:06:50 CEST 1997

On Sun, 25 May 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:

:
:On 25/05/97 at 10:28 AM, Nathan Yospe <yospe at hawaii.edu> said:
:
:>Grains: Mid range energy, minor nutrient content.

:Better try that again.  Several grains have very high (if incompleat)
:potein levels, and are very nearly a compleat food in themselves.
:(Note: a 1:1 mix of grains a legumes gets a compleat protein).

Nutritionally, I class amaranths and legume seeds (anything that can make
dahl - lentils, split peas, etc) with nuts.

:>Fruits: Fast energy, large number of nutrients.

:You'd be surprised how little nutrition there is in most fruits.  A
:lot of sugards, some of the more interesting vitamins, almost always
:light on the biggi vitamins (B complex, A, E, D, the various acids,
:etc) little to no protein, often very low on the minerals.  There are
:exceptions: avacado is damn close to really fatty meat, pumpkins and
:other squashes can get up there in the A/D and protein levels, etc.

Fruits are treasure troves of trace element requirements. Pottasium, Iron,
etc... There is no protein in most fruits (yeah, Avos are a notable
exception, and one I rely heavilly on... fatty they may be, but the fat is
in simple strands, and burns fast if you are active) but, for example, a
person under mental stress and short on sleep can compensate for a great
deal of mental fatigue by eating a couple of bananas a day... several
tropical fruits have magnesium concentrations, which can cut arthritic
damage over long periods of time.

:>Meat: Protein. Healing, building, and maintaining tissues.
:>Nuts: Protein. Similar to meats.

:Also fats, lipids etc.  Cf the Dinka whose adult mails live almost
:entirely on cow blood  (also a prime prototype for the cursorial
:hunter PoV).

:>You are missing:

:>Vegetables: Raw nutrients, and digestive aid.
:>Dairy: You need something for bone repair, etc.

:Nope.  Most Homo Sap can no longer digest dairy products after age 2
:or 3.  The majority of it gets turned in mucus instead and flushed via
:snot, plem, and slimy shits.  Your best calcium sources as an adult
:are cartiledge/soft bone/connective tissue (chew the soft ends off
:chicken drum sticks) and vegetables (look at the calcium levels in
:comfry etc).  Remember also that calcium is useless to the body
:without equivalent levels of magnesium salts -- thus the great
:relaxing (and muscle stress/pain reducing) effect of many of the
:calcium glutonate/magnesium carbonate drinks.

That's where the fruits come in... and we do extract calcium from dairy,
provided we have enough of the fixatives in place.

  /_  / / ) /_  /_) / ) /| /| / /\            First Light of a Nova Dawn
 /   / / \ /_  /_) / \ /-|/ |/ /_/            Final Night of a World Gone
Nathan F. Yospe - University of Hawaii Dept of Physics - yospe at hawaii.edu