[MUD-Dev] Re: Administrative notes

Tue May 27 07:59:24 CEST 1997

[Marian:]

:My problem is that it doesn't work that way. I can throw balls in the air
:until my arm falls off without getting in the least better at juggling. Skills
:are part learning, part practice. (and then you have to excersice to keep
:your skill level up). So you need a teacher (a player preferably) to teach
:you a skill (and how well this teaching goes depends on the abilities of
:both teacher and student, i.e. the teacher can't teach better than she her-
:self does and depending on the intelligence of the student she won't do
:even that well). Once you have learned a skill as well as the teacher is
:able to teach you, you must practice to realise that potential.

If you keep to that rule strictly, the skill will eventually fade away
(over generations, however). In truth, some students eventually exceed
the skill of their teacher(s), and some highly skilled practioners are
able to raise the level of the skill itself, by discovering new techniques
and tricks. Modelling this can be as simple as doing it somewhat randomly
for the first part, and then occasionally rewarding massive amounts of
practice with an increase in skill level, regardless of the skill level
of the teacher.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA