[MUD-Dev] Rooms, 3D arrays, etc.

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue May 27 22:16:20 CEST 1997

At 08:35 PM 5/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:

>Hmm, never heard of a compressing array.  I just figured on an array of
>structures like:
>
>I suppose this could get on the large side.
>How would you do compression?

This is a classic problem and basic bit of programming with many standard
solutions
The problem is formally called a "sparse array".  You'll fidn a wealth of
info under that topic by lookign in the index of any book on data
structures.  (Data Structures is a fundemental and basic bit of coding
knwoledge. Anyone who hasn't read a book on data structures probably should.)

JK