[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue May 27 22:59:51 CEST 1997

On Sun 25 May, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Sat, 24 May 1997 23:17:25 PST8PDT, coder at ibm.net wrote:

> This underscores the difference between a MUD and a MUSH (usually; there
> are ALWAYS exceptions). On a MUSH, there is really very little in the
> *world* to experiment with; it's very player and person centered.

Which is what I feel is what defines a roleplaying game from other games.
And I don't think that most games available realy qualify as roleplaying
at that; especially not the first person computer games full of guns and
monsters that are popular.
If the game isn't centered around players and person (and social interaction)
then it is a game, but there is little to no role being played.
This doesn't mean that a roleplaying game can't be combative, or that a
combative mud can't be person oriented. I've played both and they can
work out (until something shifts the balance, usually towards the hack
and slash variation).

> On a MUD, it is indeed possible (and more common than I like) for someone to
> have no contact whatsoever with any other players and *still* play the
> game perfectly well.

Many players would argue that playing with others basically distracts from
the game (and reduces the speed at which you advance through the levels
because you have to share your experience points with them).

> In the game I'm planning, there's not much in the
> world to be experimented with, and what there *is* doesn't tend to be
> deadly.

Which is a pretty certain way to make the powergamers stay well clear
of your game. What point in having the sword of ultimate destruction
if there's nothing to chop up with it?

> Fascinating. I like the ideas you come up with, but I'm a little
> concerned about them;

Merely concerned? They're way too deep for me. But I'm willing to try
anything at least once.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,