[MUD-Dev] Rooms, 3D arrays, etc.

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue May 27 23:06:34 CEST 1997

On Sun 25 May, Michael Hohensee wrote:

> 	The only trouble would be to load the original array.  I've been
> thinking of using a file with a big character map, with each character
> represtenting each room.

Why do you want to restrict yourself to rooms?
It won't solve some of the more fundamental problems, like being able
to see some 20 miles at see if not for the room boundaries that restrict
it to perhaps 20 meter?
Wouldn't it make more sense to only work with locations in an open space.
And have objects represent the real boundaries? That way, the ocean is
simply a vast area without boundaries (like walls, buildings, trees or
hills) to obstruct the view so you can indeed see the horizon, and a bit
beyond.
It won't be easy to create forests this way though, but there may be
ways to overcome this limitation as well.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey