[MUD-Dev] Resets, repops and quests

Wed May 28 08:24:01 CEST 1997

[Alex O:]

:Hello guys.

Welcome back! :-)

:Have been a bit busy a bit lately and didn't follow the discussions.
:I'm now under a curse compelling me to catch up with the list (~800 messages
:worth of backlog... <gulp!>).

I had a co-worker over last night and we spent the evening talking, etc.
Now I find that I have 75 email messages just this morning!

:Anyways, There was an interesting thread about a month ago which discussed
:resets and repops in a mud.  The consensus seems to be that resets are a thing
:to be avoided(tm).

Explicit, game or area-wide resets are something I don't like. Some kind
of resetting of state is pretty well needed locally, however, else you
can't have the same puzzle solved more than once.

:The question that was left unanswered is: How can a mud have a working quest
:system without some kind of resets?

When I was doing my little quests, the issue that come up is that of how
a given quest can be solved by different people at the same time. I was not
able to come up with an answer, and ended up being unsatisfied. One of my
entire areas shuts out other characters while one character is in it. I
don't like that, but couldn't see an alternative, given the nature of the
puzzle in it.

How *do* others out there solve this?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA