[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Wed May 28 10:13:36 CEST 1997

Jeff Kesselman wrote:

> At 08:38 PM 5/27/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
> >
> >I have no problem with newbies having kick-ass gear as long as there is
>
> I do fro a very simple reason.... a concentration on "gear" inevtibaly
> means a concentration on power, not character.
>
> JK

Kick-ass gear will be a necessity since your ability to survive in a
battle against some nasty creature will partially depend on it.  A
player gains life force logarithmically over time, so at some point,
one's life force essentially maxes out.  This requires better equipment
when battling someone else with better equipment, since without it,
death comes quickly.  I've put no restriction on newbies having kick-ass
equipment since 1) I dislike arbitrary restrictions, and 2) the absolute
greatest gear must be accompanied by comparable ability in using it to
maximum effectiveness, or you're not much better off than fighting
naked.

It is true, though, that I'm not out to create a game exclusively for
role-players, so I do want a degree of concentration on power (although
under the equipment, everyone is somewhat the same--differences in skill
level and inherent body-traits are about the only base distinguishing
factors).  However,
running around and killing things is not the only means to get anywhere
in the world.  People can do whatever they want.  Hopefully I can strike
close to a balance between the roll- and role- players.  Myself, I'm not
a role-player so there is a bias in this.

--
Shawn Halpenny

"You can't buy the necessities of life with cookies"
                                - "Edward Scissorhands"