[MUD-Dev] Resets, repops and quests

Alex Oren alexo at bigfoot.com
Wed May 28 10:48:40 CEST 1997

Hi.

} > The question that was left unanswered is: How can a mud have a working quest
} > system without some kind of resets?

Ling, Jeff (using some vaguely english-like language) and Caliban (???)
suggested some sorts of imm intervention/control.

While perfectly valid, I think this circumvents the problem of resets instead of
solving it.

Let me restate.
I want some computer-run, hands-off, completely automated, totally computerized,
human-free quests in the scenario.

Why?
Because if a human is needed to supervise, I may as well play a "classic" RPG.
I want the system to provide decent entertainment value when no imms are
present.  Even for a single player.

Quests, as I see them, provide short-term goals and some sense of accomplishment
and progress.

I guess the kidnapped princess scenario could be tweaked so the orcs will kidnap
a different member of the community (could even happen to be a player, social
implications aside) and repeat the kidnapping only after a long time (to
replenish slaughtered troops) but what happens when some high-level players team
up, torch the orc village and build a castle there?
While allowing players to shape the world is desirable, a quest is lost.

I can think of several quests that seem to be immune to most scenarios:
* Guild initiation rites.
* Teleporting a player into an extra-dimentional dungeon.
Etcetera.

But there is a limited number of tinker-resistant quests that will not require
resets and I desire a more general solution.

Opinions?

BTW, ChrisL - Do you know why all the empty lines were removed from my previous
post?  Is Stewart to blame?

Have fun,
Alex.