[MUD-Dev] Alright... IF your gonan do DESIESE...

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Wed May 28 14:55:01 CEST 1997

In <338B0F3B.2781E494 at iname.com>, on 05/27/97
   at 08:36 PM, Shawn Halpenny <malachai at iname.com> said:

>I get positively droolly over issues involving probability (it's one
>of the few things in life I've got firm, unshakeable belief in), and
>am mixing a goodly bit of it into everything in my model (things like
>inverse-probability regions, really nasty probabilistic disasters and
>such as-of-yet nebulous stuff).  Truth be told, I don't even know
>everywhere it will pop up, just that there will be a stinking lot of
>it.  Thus, I'm particularly intrigued with what'll be in this other
>post.

I'm buried right now and so don't know if I'll get to it this week.
However, you hit the nail on the head above: making a coherent
probability field for the entire game, this allowing the case concepts
of "luck" and "bad luck" to be selectively altered by the game both in
various areas, and for speficic characters, their objects, etc,  (eg
touch the faery stone to be lucky).  Another simple if ultimately
nasty spell would be to invert an opposing character's porbaiblity
matrix -- thus the vastly imporably suddenly becomes probable (special
case the handling of impossible becoming must-happen), and their best
skills/probabilities becomes useless.

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com