[MUD-Dev] RP thesis...

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri May 30 00:13:48 CEST 1997

On Wed 28 May, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> [Marian:]

> > Why not make the ashes of that bonfire a very real object in that
> > area that will be present in the room every time that room is re-
> > created. Of course you also have to make it decay over time but
> > that's something I find in most muds anyway.

> Right.  The trick is, of course, that you just store a general description
> of the world (things like terrain and elevation), and then *changes* to
> that.  Things like tracks, campfires, objects on the ground, sigils
> carved in trees, local mana depletions, and so on are stored as lists
> rather than arrays.  If you only have one campfire, you only have one
> item in the list.  [etc snipped]

I'm not sure I follow this all, but my simplistic idea would be to have
a list for 'the forest of green shadows' and another list for 'the
mountains of sorrow'. That should allow more special objects to be kept.
And if that's not enough you can further subdivide the forest and the
mountains until you have a manageable number of objects in each location
in the world, right?

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,