The Lessons of Lucasfilm's Habitat

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri May 30 18:29:43 CEST 1997

http://www.communities.com/company/papers/lessons.html

      The Lessons of Lucasfilm's
                     Habitat

            Chip Morningstar and F. Randall Farmer
                   Electric Communities

     This paper was presented at The First Annual
     International Conference on Cyberspace in 1990. If you
     only have time to read one of these papers, read this one. It
     was published in Cyberspace: First Steps, Michael
     Benedikt (ed.), 1990, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass.

Introduction

Lucasfilm's Habitat was created by Lucasfilm Games, a division of
LucasArts Entertainment Company, in association with Quantum Computer
Services, Inc. It was arguably one of the first attempts to create a
very large scale commercial multi-user virtual environment. A far cry
from many laboratory research efforts based on sophisticated interface
hardware and tens of thousands of dollars per user of dedicated
compute power, Habitat is built on top of an ordinary commercial
online service and uses an inexpensive -- some would say "toy" -- home
computer to support user interaction. In spite of these somewhat
plebeian underpinnings, Habitat is ambitious in its scope. The system
we developed can support a population of thousands of users in a
single shared cyberspace. Habitat presents its users with a real-time
animated view into an online simulated world in which users can
communicate, play games, go on adventures, fall in love, get married,
get divorced, start businesses, found religions, wage wars, protest
against them, and experiment with self-government.

The Habitat project proved to be a rich source of insights into the
nitty-gritty reality of actually implementing a serious, commercially
viable cyberspace environment. Our experiences developing the Habitat
system, and managing the virtual world that resulted, offer a number
of interesting and important lessons for prospective cyberspace
architects. The purpose of this paper is to discuss some of these
lessons. We hope that the next generation of builders of virtual
worlds can benefit from our experiences and (especially) from our
mistakes.

Due to space limitations, we won't be able to go into as much
technical detail as we might like; this will have to be left to a
future publication. Similarly, we will only be able to touch briefly
upon some of the history of the project as a business venture, which
is a fascinating subject of its own. Although we will conclude with a
brief discussion of some of the future directions for this technology,
a more detailed exposition on this topic will also have to wait for a
future article.

The essential lesson that we have abstracted from our experiences with
Habitat is that a cyberspace is defined more by the interactions among
the actors within it than by the technology with which it is
implemented. While we find much of the work presently being done on
elaborate interface technologies -- DataGloves, head-mounted displays,
special-purpose rendering engines, and so on -- both exciting and
promising, the almost mystical euphoria that currently seems to
surround all this hardware is, in our opinion, both excessive and
somewhat misplaced. We can't help having a nagging sense that it's all
a bit of a distraction from the really pressing issues. At the core of
our vision is the idea that cyberspace is necessarily a
multiple-participant environment. It seems to us that the things that
are important to the inhabitants of such an environment are the
capabilities available to them, the characteristics of the other
people they encounter there, and the ways these various participants
can affect one another. Beyond a foundation set of communications
capabilities, the technology used to present this environment to its
participants, while sexy and interesting, is a peripheral concern.

What is Habitat?

Habitat is a "multi-player online virtual environment" (its purpose is
to be an entertainment medium; consequently, the users are called
"players"). Each player uses his or her home computer as a frontend,
communicating over a commercial packet-switching data network to a
centralized backend system. The frontend provides the user interface,
generating a real-time animated display of what is going on and
translating input from the player into requests to the backend. The
backend maintains the world model, enforcing the rules and keeping
each player's frontend informed about the constantly changing state of
the universe. The backend enables the players to interact not only
with the world but with each other.

Habitat was inspired by a long tradition of "computer hacker science
fiction", notably Vernor Vinge's novel, True Names [1], as well as
many fond childhood memories of games of make-believe, more recent
memories of role-playing games and the like, and numerous other
influences too thoroughly blended to pinpoint. To this we add a dash
of silliness, a touch of cyberpunk [2,3], and a predilection for
object-oriented programming [4].

The initial incarnation of Habitat uses a Commodore 64 for the
frontend. One of the questions we are asked most frequently is, "Why
the Commodore 64?" Many people somehow get the impression that this
was a technical decision, but the real explanation has to do with
business, not technology. Habitat was initially developed by Lucasfilm
as commercial product for QuantumLink, an online service (then)
exclusively for owners of the Commodore 64. At the time we started
(1985), the Commodore 64 was the mainstay of the recreational
computing market. Since then it has declined dramatically in both its
commercial and technical significance. However, when we began the
project, we didn't get a choice of platforms. The nature of the deal
was such that both the Commodore 64 for the frontend and the existing
QuantumLink host system (a brace of Stratus fault-tolerant
minicomputers) for the backend were givens.

The largest part of the screen is devoted to the graphics display.
This is an animated view of the player's current location in the
Habitat world. The scene consists of various objects arrayed on the
screen, such as the houses and tree you see here. The players are
represent by animated figures that we call "Avatars". Avatars are
usually, though not exclusively, humanoid in appearance. In this scene
you can see two of them, carrying on a conversation.

Avatars can move around, pick up, put down and manipulate objects,
talk to each other, and gesture, each under the control of an
individual player. Control is through the joystick, which enables the
player to point at things and issue commands. Talking is accomplished
by typing on the keyboard. The text that a player types is displayed
over his or her Avatar's head in a cartoon-style "word balloon".

 A typical Habitat scene (  1986 LucasArts Entertainment Company).

The Habitat world is made up of a large number of discrete locations
that we call "regions". In its prime, the prototype Habitat world
consisted of around 20,000 of them. Each region can adjoin up to four
other regions, which can be reached simply by walking your Avatar to
one or another edge of the screen. Doorways and other passages can
connect to additional regions. Each region contains a set of objects
which define the things that an Avatar can do there and the scene that
the player sees on the computer screen.

Some of the objects are structural, such as the ground or the sky.
Many are just scenic, such as the tree or the mailbox. Most objects,
however, have some function that they perform. For example, doors
transport Avatars from one region to another and may be opened,
closed, locked and unlocked. ATMs (Automatic Token Machines) enable
access to an Avatar's bank account. Vending machines dispense useful
goods in exchange for Habitat money. Habitat contained its own
fully-fledged economy, with money, banks, and so on. Habitat's unit of
currency is the Token, owing to the fact that it is a token economy
and to acknowledge the long and honorable association between tokens
and video games.

Many objects are portable and may be carried around in an Avatar's
hands or pockets. These include various kinds of containers, money,
weapons, tools, and exotic magical implements. Listed here are some of
the most important types of objects and their functions. The complete
list of object types numbers in the hundreds.

 Object Class
                  Function
 ATM
                  Automatic Token Machine; access to account
                  Represents the player in the Habitat world
 Bag, Box
                  Containers in which things may be carried
 Book
                  Document for Avatars to read (e.g., the daily
                  newspaper)
 Bureaucrat-in-a-box
                  Communication with system operators
 Change-o-matic
                  Device to change Avatar gender
 Chest, Safe
                  Containers in which things can be stored
 Club, Gun, Knife
                  Various weapons
 Compass
                  Points direction to West Pole
 Door
                  Passage from one region to another; can be
                  locked
 Drugs
                  Various types; changes Avatar body state, e.g.,
                  cure wounds
 Elevator
                  Transportation from one floor of a tall
                  building to another
 Flashlight
                  Provides light in dark places
 Fountain
                  Scenic highlight; provides communication to
                  system designers
 Game piece
                  Enables various board games: backgammon,
                  checkers, chess, etc.
 Garbage can
                  Disposes of unwanted objects
 Glue
                  System building tool; attaches objects together
 Ground, Sky
                  The underpinnings of the world
 Head
                  An Avatar's head; comes in many styles; for
                  customization
 Key
                  Unlocks doors and other containers
 Knick-knack
                  Generic inert object; for decorative purposes
 Magic wand
                  Various types, can do almost anything
 Paper
                  For writing notes, making maps, etc.; used in
                  mail system
 Pawn machine
                  Buys back previously purchased objects
 Plant, Rock, Tree
                  Generic scenic objects
 Region
                  The foundation of reality
 Sensor
                  Various types, detects otherwise invisible
                  conditions in the world
 Sign
                  Allows attachment of text to other objects
 Stun gun
                  Non-lethal weapon
 Teleport booth
                  Means of quick long-distance transport;
                  analogous to phone booth
 Tokens
                  Habitat money
 Vendroid
                  Vending machine; sells things

Implementation

The following, along with several programmer-years of tedious and
expensive detail that we won't cover here, is how the system works:

At the heart of the Habitat implementation is an object-oriented model
of the universe.

The frontend consists of a system kernel and a collection of objects.
The kernel handles memory management, display generation, disk I/O,
telecommunications, and other "operating system" functions. The
objects implement the semantics of the world itself. Each type of
Habitat object has a definition consisting of a set of resources,
including animation cels to drive the display, audio data, and
executable code. An object's executable code implements a series of
standard behaviors, each of which is invoked by a different player
command or system event. The model is similar to that found in an
object-oriented programming system such as Smalltalk [5], with its
classes, methods and messages. These resources consume significant
amounts of scarce frontend memory, so we can't keep them all in core
at the same time. Fortunately, their definitions are invariant, so we
simply swap them in from disk as we need them, discarding less
recently used resources to make room.

When an object is instantiated, we allocate a block of memory to
contain the object's state. The first several bytes of an object's
state information take the same form in all objects, and include such
things as the object's screen location and display attributes. This
standard information is interpreted by the system kernel as it
generates the display and manages the run-time environment. The
remainder of the state information varies with the object type and is
accessed only by the object's behavior code.

Object behaviors are invoked by the kernel in response to player
input. Each object responds to a set of standard verbs that map
directly onto the commands available to the player. Each behavior is
simply a subroutine that executes the indicated action; to do this it
may invoke the behaviors of other objects or send request messages to
the backend. Besides the standard verb behaviors, objects may have
additional behaviors which are invoked by messages that arrive
asynchronously from the backend.

The backend also maintains an object-oriented representation of the
world. As in the frontend, objects on the backend possess executable
behaviors and in-memory state information. In addition, since the
backend maintains a persistent global state for the entire Habitat
world, the objects are also represented by database records that may
be stored on disk when not "in use". Backend object behaviors are
invoked by messages from the frontend. Each of these backend behaviors
works in roughly the same way: a message is received from a player's
frontend requesting some action; the action is taken and some state
changes to the world result; the backend behavior sends a response
message back to the frontend informing it of the results of its
request and notification messages to the frontends of any other
players who are in the same region, informing them of what has taken
place.

The Lessons

In order to say as much as we can in the limited space available, we
will describe what think we learned via a series of principles or
assertions surrounded by supporting reasoning and illustrative
anecdotes. A more formal and thorough exposition will have to come
later in some other forum where we might have the space to present a
more comprehensive and detailed model.

We mentioned our primary principle above:

A multi-user environment is central to the idea of cyberspace.

It is our deep conviction that a definitive characteristic of a
cyberspace system is that it represents a multi-user environment. This
stems from the fact that what (in our opinion) people seek in such a
system is richness, complexity and depth. Nobody knows how to produce
an automaton that even approaches the complexity of a real human
being, let alone a society. Our approach, then, is not even to attempt
this, but instead to use the computational medium to augment the
communications channels between real people.

If what we are constructing is a multi-user environment, it naturally
follows that some sort of communications capability must be
fundamental to our system. However, we must take into account an
observation that is the second of our principles:

      Communications bandwidth is a scarce resource.

This point was rammed home to us by one of Habitat's nastier
externally imposed design constraints, namely that it provide a
satisfactory experience to the player over a 300 baud serial telephone
connection (one, moreover, routed through commercial
packet-switching networks that impose an additional, uncontrollable
latency of 100 to 5000 milliseconds on each packet transmitted).

Even in a more technically advanced network, however, bandwidth
remains scarce in the sense that economists use the term: available
carrying capacity is not unlimited. The law of supply and demand
suggests that no matter how much capacity is available, you always
want more. When communications technology advances to the point were
we all have multi-gigabaud fiber optic connections into our homes,
computational technology will have advanced to match. Our processors'
expanding appetite for data will mean that the search for ever more
sophisticated data compression techniques will still be a hot research
area (though what we are compressing may at that point be
high-resolution volumetric time-series or something even more
esoteric)[6].

Computer scientists tend to be reductionists who like to organize
systems in terms of primitive elements that can be easily manipulated
within the context of a simple formal model. Typically, you adopt a
small variety of very simple primitives which are then used in large
numbers. For a graphics-oriented cyberspace system, the temptation is
to build upon bit-mapped images or polygons or some other graphic
primitive. These sorts of representations, however, are invitations to
disaster. They arise from an inappropriate fixation on display
technology, rather than on the underlying purpose of the system.

However, the most significant part of what we wish to be
communicating are human behaviors. These, fortunately, can be
represented quite compactly, provided we adopt a relatively abstract,
high-level description that deals with behavioral concepts directly.
This leads to our third principle:

     An object-oriented data representation is essential.

Taken at its face value, this assertion is unlikely to be
controversial, as object-oriented programming is currently the
methodology of choice among the software engineering cognoscenti.
However, what we mean here is not only that you should adopt an
object-oriented approach, but that the basic objects from which you
build the system should correspond more-or-less to the objects in the
user's conceptual model of the virtual world, that is, people, places,
and artifacts. You could, of course, use object-oriented programming
techniques to build a system based on, say, polygons, but that would
not help to cope with the fundamental problem.

The goal is to enable the communications between machines take place
primarily at the behavioral level (what people and things are doing)
rather than at the presentation level (how the scene is changing). The
description of a place in the virtual would should be in terms of what
is there rather than what it looks like. Interactions between objects
should be described by functional models rather than by physical ones.
The computation necessary to translate between these higher-level
representations and the lower-level representations required for
direct user interaction is an essentially local function. At the local
processor, display-rendering techniques may be arbitrarily elaborate
and physical models arbitrarily sophisticated. The data channel
capacities required for such computations, however, need not and
should not be squeezed into the limited bandwidth available between
the local processor and remote ones. Attempting to do so just leads to
disasters such as NAPLPS [7,8].

Once we begin working at the conceptual rather than the presentation
level, we are struck by the following observation:

   The implementation platform is relatively unimportant.

The presentation level and the conceptual level cannot (and should
not) be totally isolated from each other. However, defining a virtual
environment in terms of the configuration and behavior of objects,
rather than their presentation, enables us to span a vast range of
computational and display capabilities among the participants in a
system. This range extends both upward and downward. As an extreme
example, a typical scenic object, such as a tree, can be represented
by a handful of parameter values. At the lowest conceivable end of
things might be an ancient Altair 8800 with a 300 baud ASCII dumb
terminal, where the interface is reduced to fragments of text and the
user sees the humble string so familiar to the players of text
adventure games, "There is a tree here." At the high end, you might
have a powerful processor that generates the image of the tree by
growing a fractal model and rendering it three dimensions at high
resolution, the finest details ray-traced in real time, complete with
branches waving in the breeze and the sound of wind in the leaves
coming through your headphones in high-fidelity digital stereo. And
these two users might be looking at the same tree in same the place in
the same world and talking to each other as they do so. Both of these
scenarios are implausible at the moment, the first because nobody
would suffer with such a crude interface when better ones are so
readily available, the second because the computational hardware does
not yet exist. The point, however, is that this approach covers the
ground between systems already obsolete and ones that are as yet
gleams in their designers' eyes. Two consequences of this are
significant. The first is that we can build effective cyberspace
systems today. Habitat exists as ample proof of this principle. The
second is that it is conceivable that with a modicum of cleverness and
foresight you could start building a system with today's technology
that could evolve smoothly as the tomorrow's technology develops. The
availability of pathways for growth is important in the real world,
especially if cyberspace is to become a significant communications
medium (as we obviously think it should).

Given that we see cyberspace as fundamentally a communications medium
rather than simply a user interface model, and given the style of
object-oriented approach that we advocate, another point becomes
clear:

         Data communications standards are vital.

However, our concerns about cyberspace data communications standards
center less upon data transport protocols than upon the definition of
the data being transported. The mechanisms required for reliably
getting bits from point A to point B are not terribly interesting to
us. This is not because these mechanisms are not essential (they
obviously are) nor because they do not pose significant research and
engineering challenges (they clearly do). It is because we are focused
on the unique communications needs of an object-based cyberspace. We
are concerned with the protocols for sending messages between objects,
that is, for communicating behavior rather than presentation, and for
communicating object definitions from one system to another.

Communicating object definitions seems to us to be an especially
important problem, and one that we really didn't have an opportunity
to address in Habitat. It will be necessary to address this problem if
we are to have a dynamic system. The ability to add new classes of
objects over time is crucial if the system is to be able to evolve.

While we are on the subject of communications standards, we would like
to make some remarks about the ISO Reference Model of Open System
Interconnection [9]. This multi-layered model has become a centerpiece
of most discussions about data communications standards these days.
Unfortunately, while the bottom 4 or 5 layers of this model provide a
more or less sound framework for considering data transport issues, we
feel that the model's Presentation and Application layers are not so
helpful when considering cyberspace data communications.

We have two main quarrels with the ISO model: first, it partitions the
general data communications problem in a way that is a poor match for
the needs of a cyberspace system; second, and more importantly, we
think it is an active source of confusion because it focuses the
attention of system designers on the wrong set of issues and thus
leads them to spend their time solving the wrong set of problems. We
know because this happened to us. "Presentation" and "Application" are
simply the wrong abstractions for the higher levels of a cyberspace
communications protocol. A "Presentation" protocol presumes
characteristics of the display are embedded in the protocol. The
discussions above should give some indication why we feel such a
presumption is both unnecessary and unwise. An "Application" protocol
presumes a degree of foreknowledge of the message environment that is
incompatible with the sort of dynamically evolving object system we
envision.

A better model would be to substitute a different pair of top layers:
a Message layer, which defines the means by which objects can address
one another and standard methods of encapsulating structured data and
encoding low-level data types (e.g., numbers); and a Definition layer
built on top of the Message layer, which defines a standard
representation for object definitions so that object classes can
migrate from machine to machine. One might argue that these are simply
Presentation and Application with different labels, but we don't think
the differences are so easily reconciled. In particular, we think the
ISO model has, however unintentionally, systematically deflected
workers in the field from considering many of the issues that concern
us.

World Building

There were two sorts of implementation challenges that Habitat posed.
The first was the problem of creating a working piece of technology --
developing the animation engine, the object-oriented virtual memory,
the message-passing pseudo operating system, and squeezing them all
into the ludicrous Commodore 64 (the backend system also posed
interesting technical problems, but its constraints were not as
vicious). The second challenge was the creation and management of the
Habitat world itself. It is the experiences from the latter exercise
that we think will be most relevant to future cyberspace designers.

We were initially our own worst enemies in this undertaking, victims
of a way of thinking to which we engineers are dangerously
susceptible. This way of thinking is characterized by the conceit that
all things may be planned in advance and then directly implemented
according to the plan's detailed specification. For persons schooled
in the design and construction of systems based on simple,
well-defined and well-understood foundation principles, this is a
natural attitude to have. Moreover, it is entirely appropriate when
undertaking most engineering projects. It is a frame of mind that is
an essential part of a good engineer's conceptual tool kit. Alas, in
keeping with Maslow's assertion that, "to the person who has only a
hammer, all the world looks like a nail", it is a tool that is easy to
carry beyond its range of applicability. This happens when a system
exceeds the threshold of complexity above which the human mind loses
its ability to maintain a complete and coherent model.

One generally hears about systems crossing the complexity threshold
when they become very large. For example, the Space Shuttle and the
B-2 bomber are both systems above this threshold, necessitating
extraordinarily involved, cumbersome and time-consuming procedures to
keep the design under control -- procedures that are at once vastly
expensive and only partially successful. To a degree, the complexity
problem can be solved by throwing money at it. However, such capital
intensive management techniques are a luxury not available to most
projects. Furthermore, although these dubious "solutions" to the
complexity problem are out of reach of most projects, alas the
complexity threshold itself is not. Smaller systems can suffer from
the same sorts of problems. It is possible to push much smaller and
less elaborate systems over the complexity threshold simply by
introducing chaotic elements that are outside the designers' sphere of
control or understanding. The most significant such chaotic elements
are autonomous computational agents (e.g., other computers). This is
why, for example, debugging even very simple communications protocols
often proves surprisingly difficult. Furthermore, a special circle of
living Hell awaits the implementors of systems involving that most
important category of autonomous computational agents of all, groups
of interacting human beings. This leads directly to our next (and
possibly most controversial) assertion:

   Detailed central planning is impossible; don't even try.

The constructivist prejudice that leads engineers into the kinds of
problems just mentioned has received more study from economists and
sociologists [10-15] than from researchers in the software engineering
community. Game and simulation designers are experienced in creating
virtual worlds for individuals and small groups. However, they have
had no reason to learn to deal with large populations of simultaneous
users. Since each user or group is unrelated to the others, the same
world can be used over and over again. If you are playing an adventure
game, the fact that thousands of other people elsewhere in the (real)
world are playing the same game has no effect on your experience. It
is reasonable for the creator of such a world to spend tens or even
hundreds of hours crafting the environment for each hour that a user
will spend interacting with it, since that user's hour of experience
will be duplicated tens of thousands of times by tens of thousands of
other individual users.

Builders of online services and communications networks are
experienced in dealing with large user populations, but they do not,
in general, create elaborate environments. Furthermore, in a system
designed to deliver information or communications services, large
numbers of users are simply a load problem rather than a complexity
problem. All the users get the same information or services; the
comments in the previous paragraph regarding duplication of experience
apply here as well. It is not necessary to match the size and
complexity of the information space to the size of the user
population. While it may turn out that the quantity of information
available on a service is a function of the size of the user
population, this information can generally be organized into a
systematic structure that can still be maintained by a few people. The
bulk, wherein the complexity lies, is the product of the users
themselves, rather than the system designers --
the operators of the system do not have to create all this material.
(This observation is the first clue to the solution to our problem.)

Our original specification for Habitat called for us to create a world
capable of supporting a population of 20,000 Avatars, with expansion
plans for up to 50,000. By any reckoning this is a large undertaking
and complexity problems would certainly be expected. However, in
practice we exceeded the complexity threshold very early in
development. By the time the population of our online community had
reached around 50 we were in over our heads (and these 50 were
"insiders" who were prepared to be tolerant of holes and rough edges).

Moreover, a virtual world such as Habitat needs to scale with its
population. For 20,000 Avatars we needed 20,000 "houses", organized
into towns and cities with associated traffic arteries and shopping
and recreational areas. We needed wilderness areas between the towns
so that everyone would not be jammed together into the same place.
Most of all, we needed things for 20,000 people to do. They needed
interesting places to visit -- and since they can't all be in the same
place at the same time, they needed a lot of interesting places to
visit -- and things to do in those places. Each of those houses,
towns, roads, shops, forests, theaters, arenas, and other places is a
distinct entity that someone needs to design and create. We,
attempting to play the role of omniscient central planners, were
swamped.

Automated tools may be created to aid the generation of areas that
naturally possess a high degree of regularity and structure, such as
apartment buildings and road networks. We created a number of such
tools, whose spiritual descendents will no doubt be found in the
standard bag of tricks of future cyberspace architects. However, the
very properties which make some parts of the world amenable to such
techniques also make those same parts of the world among the least
important. It is really not a problem if every apartment building
looks pretty much like every other. It is a big problem if every
enchanted forest is the same. Places whose value lies in their
uniqueness, or at least in their differentiation from the places
around them, need to be crafted by hand. This is an incredibly labor
intensive and time consuming process. Furthermore, even very
imaginative people are limited in the range of variation that they can
produce, especially if they are working in a virgin environment
uninfluenced by the works and reactions of other designers.

Running The World

The world design problem might still be tractable, however, if all
players had the same goals, interests, motivations and types of
behavior. Real people, however, are all different. For the designer of
an ordinary game or simulation, human diversity is not a major
problem, since he or she gets to establish the goals and motivations
on the participants' behalf, and to specify the activities available
to them in order to channel events in the preferred direction.
Habitat, however, was deliberately open ended and pluralistic. The
idea behind our world was precisely that it did not come with a fixed
set of objectives for its inhabitants, but rather provided a broad
palette of possible activities from which the players could choose,
driven by their own internal inclinations. It was our intent to
provide a variety of possible experiences, ranging from events with
established rules and goals (a treasure hunt, for example) to
activities propelled by the players' personal motivations (starting a
business, running the newspaper) to completely free-form, purely
existential activities (hanging out with friends and conversing). Most
activities, however, involved some degree of pre-planning and setup on
our part -- we were to be like the cruise director on a ocean voyage,
but we were still thinking like game designers.

The first goal-directed event planned for Habitat was a rather
involved treasure hunt called the "D'nalsi Island Adventure". It took
us hours to design, weeks to build (including a 100-region island),
and days to coordinate the actors involved. It was designed much like
the puzzles in an adventure game. We thought it would occupy our
players for days. In fact, the puzzle was solved in about 8 hours by a
person who had figured out the critical clue in the first 15 minutes.
Many of the players hadn't even had a chance to get into the game. The
result was that one person had had a wonderful experience, dozens of
others were left bewildered, and a huge investment in design and setup
time had been consumed in an eyeblink. We expected that there would be
a wide range of "adventuring" skills in the Habitat audience. What
wasn't so obvious until afterward was that this meant that most people
didn't have a very good time, if for no other reason than that they
never really got to participate. It would clearly be foolish and
impractical for us to do things like this on a regular basis.

Again and again we found that activities based on often unconscious
assumptions about player behavior had completely unexpected outcomes
(when they were not simply outright failures). It was clear that we
were not in control. The more people we involved in something, the
less in control we were. We could influence things, we could set up
interesting situations, we could provide opportunities for things to
happen, but we could not dictate the outcome. Social engineering is,
at best, an inexact science (or, as some wag once said, "in the most
carefully constructed experiment under the most carefully controlled
conditions, the organism will do whatever it damn well pleases").

Propelled by these experiences, we shifted into a style of operations
in which we let the players themselves drive the direction of the
design. This proved far more effective. Instead of trying to push the
community in the direction we thought it should go, an exercise rather
like herding mice, we tried to observe what people were doing and aid
them in it. We became facilitators as much as we were designers and
implementors. This often meant adding new features and new regions to
the system at a frantic pace, but almost all of what we added was used
and appreciated, since it was well matched to people's needs and
desires. We, as the experts on how the system worked, could often
suggest new activities for people to try or ways of doing things that
people might not have thought of. In this way we were able to have
considerable influence on the system's development in spite of the
fact that we didn't really hold the steering wheel -- more influence,
in fact, than we had had when we were operating under the illusion
that we controlled everything.

Indeed, the challenges posed by large systems are prompting some
researchers to question the centralized, planning dominated attitude
that we have criticized here, and to propose alternative approaches
based on evolutionary and market principles [16-18]. These principles
appear applicable to complex systems of all types, not merely those
involving interacting human beings.

The Great Debate

Among the objects we made available to Avatars in Habitat were guns
and various other sorts of weapons. We included these because we felt
that players should be able to materially effect each other in ways
that went beyond simply talking, ways that required real moral choices
to be made by the participants. We recognized the age old
story-teller's dictum that conflict is the essence of drama. Death in
Habitat was, of course, not like death in the real world! When an
Avatar is killed, he or she is teleported back home, head in hands
(literally), pockets empty, and any object in hand at the time dropped
on the ground at the scene of the crime. Any possessions carried at
the time are lost. It was more like a setback in a game of "Chutes and
Ladders" than real mortality. Nevertheless, the death metaphor had a
profound effect on people's perceptions. This potential for murder,
assault and other mayhem in Habitat was, to put it mildly,
controversial. The controversy was further fueled by the potential for
lesser crimes. For instance, one Avatar could steal something from
another Avatar simply by snatching the object out its owner's hands
and running off with it.

We had imposed very few rules on the world at the start. There was
much debate among the players as to the form that Habitat society
should take. At the core of much of the debate was an unresolved
philosophical question: is an Avatar an extension of a human being
(thus entitled to be treated as you would treat a real person) or a
Pac-Man-like critter destined to die a thousand deaths or something
else entirely? Is Habitat murder a crime? Should all weapons be
banned? Or is it all "just a game"? To make a point, one of the
players took to randomly shooting people as they roamed around. The
debate was sufficiently vigorous that we took a systematic poll of the
players. The result was ambiguous: 50% said that Habitat murder was a
crime and shouldn't be a part of the world, while the other 50% said
it was an important part of the fun.

We compromised by changing the system to allow thievery and gunplay
only outside the city limits. The wilderness would be wild and
dangerous while civilization would be orderly and safe. This did not
resolve the debate, however. One of the outstanding proponents of the
anti-violence point of view was motivated to open the first Habitat
church, the Order of the Holy Walnut (in real life he was a Greek
Orthodox priest). His canons forbid his disciples to carry weapons,
steal, or participate in violence of any kind. His church became quite
popular and he became a very highly respected member of the Habitat
community.

Furthermore, while we had made direct theft impossible, one could
still engage in indirect theft by stealing things set on the ground
momentarily or otherwise left unattended. And the violence still
possible in the outlands continued to bother some players. Many people
thought that such crimes ought to be prevented or at least punished
somehow, but they had no idea how to do so. They were used to a world
in which law and justice were always things provided by somebody else.
Somebody eventually made the suggestion that there ought to be a
Sheriff. We quickly figured out how to create a voting mechanism and
rounded up some volunteers to hold an election. A public debate in the
town meeting hall was heavily attended, with the three Avatars who had
chosen to run making statements and fielding questions. The election
was held, and the town of Populopolis acquired a Sheriff.

For weeks the Sheriff was nothing but a figurehead, though he was a
respected figure and commanded a certain amount of moral authority. We
were stumped about what powers to give him. Should he have the right
to shoot anyone anywhere? Give him a more powerful gun? A magic wand
to zap people off to jail? What about courts? Laws? Lawyers? Again we
surveyed the players, eventually settling on a set of questions that
could be answered via a referendum. Unfortunately, we were unable to
act on the results before the pilot operations ended and the system
was shut down. It was clear, however, that there are two basic camps:
anarchy and government. This is an issue that will need to be
addressed by future cyberspace architects. However, our view is that a
virtual world need not be set up with a "default" government, but can
instead evolve one as needed.

A Warning

Given the above exhortation that control should be released to the
users, we need to inject a note of caution and present our next
assertion:

                You can't trust anyone.

This may seem like a contradiction of much of the preceding, but it
really is not. Designers and operators of a cyberspace system must
inhabit two levels of virtual world at once. The first we call the
"infrastructure level", which is the implementation, where the laws
that govern "reality" have their genesis. The second we call the
"percipient level", which is what the users see and experience. It is
important that there not be "leakage" between these two levels. The
first level defines the physics of the world. If its integrity is
breached, the consequences can range from aesthetic unpleasantness
(the audience catches a glimpse of the scaffolding behind the false
front) to psychological disruption (somebody does something
"impossible", thereby violating users' expectations and damaging their
fantasy) to catastrophic failure (somebody crashes the system). When
we exhort you to give control to the users, we mean control at the
percipient level. When we say that you can't trust anyone, we mean
that you can't trust them with access to the infrastructure level.
Some stories from Habitat will illustrate this.

When designing piece of software, you generally assume that it is the
sole intermediary between the user and the underlying data being
manipulated (possibly multiple applications will work with the same
data, but the principle remains the same). In general, the user need
not be aware of how data are encoded and structured inside the
application. Indeed, the very purpose of a good application is to
shield the user from the ugly technical details. It is conceivable
that a technically astute person who is willing to invest the time and
effort could decipher the internal structure of things, but this would
be an unusual thing to do as there is rarely much advantage to be
gained. The purpose of the application itself is, after all, to make
access to and manipulation of the data easier than digging around at
the level of bits and bytes. There are exceptions to this, however.
For example, most game programs deliberately impose obstacles on their
players in order for play to be challenging. By tinkering around with
the insides of such a program -- dumping the data files and studying
them, disassembling the program itself and possibly modifying it -- it
may be possible to "cheat". However, this sort of cheating has the
flavor of cheating at solitaire: the consequences adhere to the
cheater alone. There is a difference, in that disassembling a game
program is a puzzle-solving exercise in its own right, whereas
cheating at solitaire is pointless, but the satisfactions to be gained
from it, if any, are entirely personal.

If, however, a computer game involves multiple players, delving into
the program's internals can enable one to truly cheat, in the sense
that one gains an unfair advantage over the other players of which
they may be unaware. Habitat is such a multi-player game. When we were
designing the software, our "prime directive" was, "The backend shall
not assume the validity of anything a player computer tells it." This
is because we needed to protect ourselves against the possibility that
a clever user had hacked around with his copy of the frontend program
to add "custom features". For example, we could not implement any of
the sort of "skill and action" elements found in traditional video
games wherein dexterity with the joystick determines the outcome of,
say, armed combat, because you couldn't guard against someone
modifying their copy of the program to tell the backend that they had
"hit", whether they actually had or not. Indeed, our partners at
QuantumLink warned us of this very eventuality before we even started
-- they already had users who did this sort of thing with their
regular system. Would anyone actually go to the trouble of
disassembling and studying 100K or so of incredibly tight and
bizarrely threaded 6502 machine code just to tinker? As it turns out,
the answer is yes. People have. We were not 100% rigorous in following
our own rule. It turned out that there were a few features whose
implementation was greatly eased by breaking the rule in situations
where, in our judgment, the consequences would not be material if
people "cheated" by hacking their own systems. Darned if people didn't
hack their systems to cheat in exactly these ways.

Care must be taken in the design of the world as well. One incident
that occurred during our pilot test involved a small group of players
exploiting a bug in our world database which they interpreted as a
feature. First, some background. Avatars are hatched with 2000 Tokens
in their bank account, and each day that they login the receive
another 100T. Avatars may acquire additional funds by engaging in
business, winning contests, finding buried treasure, and so on. They
can spend their Tokens on, among other things, various items that are
for sale in vending machines called Vendroids. There are also Pawn
Machines, which will buy objects back (at a discount, of course).

In order to make this automated economy a little more interesting,
each Vendroid had its own prices for the items in it. This was so that
we could have local price variation (i.e., a widget would cost a
little less if you bought it at Jack's Place instead of The Emporium).
It turned out that in two Vendroids across town from each other were
two items for sale whose prices we had inadvertently set lower than
what a Pawn Machine would buy them back for: Dolls (for sale at 75T,
hock for 100T) and Crystal Balls (for sale at 18,000T, hock at
30,000T!). Naturally, a couple of people discovered this. One night
they took all their money, walked to the Doll Vendroid, bought as many
Dolls as they could, then took them across town and pawned them. By
shuttling back and forth between the Doll Vendroid and the Pawn Shop
for hours, they amassed sufficient funds to buy a Crystal Ball ,
whereupon they continued the process with Crystal Balls and a couple
orders of magnitude higher cash flow. The final result was at least
three Avatars with hundreds of thousands of Tokens each. We only
discovered this the next morning when our daily database status report
said that the money supply had quintupled overnight.

We assumed that the precipitous increase in "T1" was due to some sort
of bug in the software. We were puzzled that no bug report had been
submitted. By poking around a bit we discovered that a few people had
suddenly acquired enormous bank balances. We sent Habitat mail to the
two richest, inquiring as to where they had gotten all that money
overnight. Their reply was, "We got it fair and square! And we're not
going to tell you how!" After much abject pleading on our part they
eventually did tell us, and we fixed the erroneous pricing.
Fortunately, the whole scam turned out well, as the nouveau riche
Avatars used their bulging bankrolls to underwrite a series of
treasure hunt games which they conducted on their own initiative, much
to the enjoyment of many other players on the system.

Keeping "Reality" Consistent

The urge to breach the boundary between the infrastructure level and
the percipient level is not confined to the players. The system
operators are also subject to this temptation, though their motivation
is expediency in accomplishing their legitimate purposes rather than
the gaining of illegitimate advantage. However, to the degree to which
it is possible, we vigorously endorse the following principle:

                 Work within the system.

Wherever possible, things that can be done within the framework of the
percipient level should be. The result will be smoother operation and
greater harmony among the user community. This admonition applies to
both the technical and the sociological aspects of the system.

For example, with the players in control, the Habitat world would have
grown much larger and more diverse than it did had we ourselves not
been a technical bottleneck. All new region generation and feature
implementation had to go through us, since there was no means for
players to create new parts of the world on their own. Region creation
was an esoteric technical specialty, requiring a plethora of obscure
tools and a good working knowledge of the treacherous minefield of
limitations imposed by the Commodore 64. It also required a lot of
behind-the-scenes activity that would probably spoil the illusion for
many. One of the goals of a next generation Habitat-like system ought
to be to permit far greater creative involvement by the participants
without requiring them to ascend to full-fledged guru-hood to do so.

A further example of working within the system, this time in a social
sense, is illustrated by the following experience. One of the more
popular events in Habitat took place late in the test, the brainchild
of one of the more active players who had recently become a
QuantumLink employee. It was called the "Dungeon of Death".

For weeks, ads appeared in Habitat's newspaper, The Rant, announcing
that that Duo of Dread, DEATH and THE SHADOW, were
challenging all comers to enter their lair. Soon, on the outskirts of
town, the entrance to a dungeon appeared. Out front was a sign
reading, "Danger! Enter at your own risk!" Two system operators were
logged in as DEATH and THE SHADOW, armed with specially concocted guns
that could kill in one shot, rather than the usual 12. These two
characters roamed the dungeon blasting away at anyone they
encountered. They were also equipped with special magic wands that
cured any damage done to them by other Avatars, so that they wouldn't
themselves be killed. To make things worse, the place was littered
with dead ends, pathological connections between regions, and various
other nasty and usually fatal features. It was clear that any explorer
had better be prepared to "die" several times before mastering the
dungeon. The rewards were pretty good: 1000 Tokens minimum and access
to a special Vendroid that sold magic teleportation wands.
Furthermore, given clear notice, players took the precaution of
emptying their pockets before entering, so that the actual cost of
getting "killed" was minimal.

One evening, one of us was given the chance to play the role of DEATH.
When we logged in, we found him in one of the dead ends with four
other Avatars who were trapped there. We started shooting, as did
they. However, the last operator to run DEATH had not bothered to use
his special wand to heal any accumulated damage, so the character of
DEATH was suddenly and unexpectedly "killed" in the encounter. As we
mentioned earlier, when an Avatar is killed, any object in his hands
is dropped on the ground. In this case, said object was the special
kill-in-one-shot gun, which was immediately picked up by one of the
regular players who then made off with it. This gun was not something
that regular players were supposed to have. What should we do?

It turned out that this was not the first time this had happened.
During the previous night's mayhem the special gun was similarly
absconded with. In this case, the person playing DEATH was one of the
regular system operators, who, used to operating the regular Q-Link
service, simply ordered the player to give the gun back. The player
considered that he had obtained the weapon as part of the normal
course of the game and balked at this, whereupon the operator
threatened to cancel the player's account and kick him off the system
if he did not comply. The player gave the gun back, but was quite
upset about the whole affair, as were many of his friends and
associates on the system. Their world model had been painfully
violated.

When it happened to us, we played the whole incident within the role
of DEATH. We sent a message to the Avatar who had the gun, threatening
to come and kill her if she didn't give it back. She replied that all
she had to do was stay in town and DEATH couldn't touch her (which was
true, if we stayed within the system). OK, we figured, she's smart. We
negotiated a deal whereby DEATH would ransom the gun for 10,000
Tokens. An elaborate arrangement was made to meet in the center of
town to make the exchange, with a neutral third Avatar acting as an
intermediary to ensure that neither party cheated. Of course, word got
around and by the time of the exchange there were numerous spectators.
We played the role of DEATH to the hilt, with lots of hokey
melodramatic shtick. The event was a sensation. It was written up in
the newspaper the next morning and was the talk of the town for days.
The Avatar involved was left with a wonderful story about having
cheated DEATH, we got the gun back, and everybody went away happy.

These two very different responses to an ordinary operational problem
illustrate our point. Operating within the participants' world model
produced a very satisfactory result. On the other hand, what seemed
like the expedient course, which involved violating this model,
provoked upset and dismay. Working within the system was clearly the
preferred course in this case.

Current Status

As of this writing, the North American incarnation of Lucasfilm's
Habitat, QuantumLink's "Club Caribe", has been operating for almost
two years. It uses our original Commodore 64 frontend and a somewhat
stripped-down version of our original Stratus backend software. Club
Caribe now sustains a population of some 15,000 participants.

A technically more advanced version, called Fujitsu Habitat, has
recently started pilot operations in Japan, available on NIFtyServe.
The initial frontend for this version is the new Fujitsu FM Towns
personal computer, though ports to several other popular Japanese
machines are anticipated. This version of the system benefits from the
additional computational power and graphics capabilities of a newer
platform, as well as the Towns' built-in CD-ROM for object imagery and
sounds. However, the virtuality of the system is essentially unchanged
and Fujitsu has not made significant alterations to the user interface
or to any of the underlying concepts.

Future Directions

There are several directions in which this work can be extended. Most
obvious is to implement the system on more advanced hardware, enabling
a more sophisticated display. A number of extensions to the user
interface also suggest themselves. However, the line of development
most interesting to us is to expand on the idea of making the
development and expansion of the world itself part of the users'
sphere of control. There are two major research areas in this.
Unfortunately, we can only touch on them briefly here.

The first area to investigate involves the elimination of the
centralized backend. The backend is a communications and processing
bottleneck that will not withstand growth above too large a size.
While we can support tens of thousands of users with this model, it is
not really feasible to support millions. Making the system fully
distributed, however, requires solving a number of difficult problems.
The most significant of these is the prevention of cheating.
Obviously, the owner of the network node that implements some part of
the world has an incentive to tilt things in his favor there. We think
that this problem can be addressed by secure operating system
technologies based on public-key cryptographic techniques [19, 20].

The second fertile area of investigation involves user configuration
of the world itself. This requires finding ways to represent the
design and creation of regions and objects as part of the underlying
fantasy. Doing this will require changes to our conception of the
world. In particular, we don't think it will be possible to conceal
all of the underpinnings to those who work with them. However, all we
really need to do is find abstractions for those underpinnings that
fit into the fantasy itself. Though challenging, this is, in our
opinion, eminently feasible.

Conclusions

We feel that the defining characteristic of cyberspace is the shared
virtual environment, not the display technology used to transport
users into that environment. Such a cyberspace is feasible today, if
you can live without head-mounted displays and other expensive
graphics hardware. Habitat serves as an existence proof of this
contention.

It seems clear to us that an object-oriented world model is a key
ingredient in any cyberspace implementation. We feel we have gained
some insight into the data representation and communications needs of
such a system. While we think that it may be premature to start
establishing detailed technical standards for these things, it is time
to begin the discussions that will lead to such standards in the
future.

Finally, we have come to believe that the most significant challenge
for cyberspace developers is to come to grips with the problems of
world creation and management. While we have only made the first
inroads onto these problems, a few things have become clear. The most
important of these is that managing a cyberspace world is not like
managing the world inside a single-user application or even a
conventional online service. Instead, it is more like governing an
actual nation. Cyberspace architects will benefit from study of the
principles of sociology and economics as much as from the principles
of computer science. We advocate an agoric, evolutionary approach to
world building rather than a centralized, socialistic one.

We would like to conclude with a final admonition, one that we hope
will not be seen as overly contentious:

                       Get real.

In a discussion of cyberspace on Usenet, one worker in the field
dismissed Club Caribe (Habitat's current incarnation) as
uninteresting, with a comment to the effect that most of the activity
consisted of inane and trivial conversation. Indeed, the observation
was largely correct. However, we hope some of the anecdotes recounted
above will give some indication that more is going on than those inane
and trivial conversations might indicate. Further, to dismiss the
system on this basis is to dismiss the users themselves. They are
paying money for this service. They don't view what they do as inane
and trivial, or they wouldn't do it. To insist this presumes that one
knows better than they what they should be doing. Such presumption is
another manifestation of the omniscient central planner who dictates
all that happens, a role that this entire article is trying to deflect
you from seeking. In a real system that is going to be used by real
people, it is a mistake to assume that the users will all undertake
the sorts of noble and sublime activities which you created the system
to enable. Most of them will not. Cyberspace may indeed change
humanity, but only if it begins with humanity as it really is.