[MUD-Dev] string parsing

coder at ibm.net coder at ibm.net
Mon Nov 3 20:20:40 CET 1997

On 03/11/97 at 08:13 AM, "Felix A. Croes" <felix at xs1.simplex.nl> said:
>cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA (Chris Gray) wrote:
>> [Felix C:]

>If the mud has such object relations as `next to', `on top of' etc, then
>it makes sense to have syntax rules, and functions to give them meaning,
>for all of them.

My support for prepositions is currently, err, inelegant and flakey.  I've
not examined the area in depth, but when I do re-approach it I will want
the system to be able to analyse the locations of multiple objects and
determine the applicable prepositions which apply to their positions ("The
ball and the light are above the table.")  As such the base idea I have
stashed is to operate off a tuple which defines the class of preposition
(ie list of terms), and the spatial transformation which defines its
scope.  This (hopefully) reduces prepositions to a generic form which can
be both parsed and back-constructed.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
----------(*)                              Internet: coder at ibm.net