[MUD-Dev] A flamewar startingpoint.

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Thu Nov 6 22:52:59 CET 1997

[Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad:]
> Andrew Glassner has written an article on what he feels is wrong with
> the current state of affairs in computer games.  He is among other
> things arguing against certain personality stats as well as magic.
> What do you think? (For the record, Glassner is a famous computer
> graphics researcher, the man behind the Graphic Gems series among
> other things)
> http://www.research.microsoft.com/research/graphics/glassner/work/talks=
/games.htm

A very well-written article.  I don't agree with much of what he says, bu=
I think that's because his experience with games seems to be limited most=
ly
to adventure games in the style of Myst.  In particular, he seems to be
pretty hung up on the idea that he IS his character, rather than directin=
the actions of a character who may or may not be anything like him.  If
this were the case, most RPGs would not exist, and even some of the
best adventure games (Monkey Island, Full Throttle, most of the Sierra
"<...> Quest" games) would be comparibly bland.
Secondly, I tend to think that it relates almost not at all to muds, so
I don't know what discussion it could generate that would be appropriate
for this list.  However, I recommend it to anyone who is interested
in or works in the field of single-player adventure games.