[MUD-Dev] A flamewar startingpoint.

Miroslav Silovic silovic at zesoi.fer.hr
Thu Nov 13 10:32:34 CET 1997

Adam Wiggins <nightfall at user2.inficad.com> writes:

> I like slower timescales.  They take care of this problem pretty
> nicely; 24 mud hours for us is about 2.5 RL hours.  Since I can go
> pretty easily for 24 hours after eating a big meal, I figure people
> that don't want to worry much about food can fill up and not have to
> worry about it for several hours of play.  Of course, this still doesn't
> solve the basic problem, which is that diku/lp-style food is pretty
> boring no matter how little you have to do it, and as I always
> say I don't see much point to putting something in the game that doesn't
> add anything in particular.

Or you can have both. For example, make it happen, but
off-camera. I.e.  allow players to set up camps. With a single
command, player would unpack, eat, rest, pack, and they'd be able to
continue. Perhaps they might also be bothered while camping (that
could be checked) - but if no encounter occurs, there should be
no message and no delays.

This idea could be extended. For instance, with a party of 6, you
could do 'camp' and then be prompted for guard scheduling overnight,
etc. If nothing happened during the night, MUD could just print
'everything went okay' message and the game goes on.

Now when the players are in the city, you could also have 'stock'
command.  You type stock and if everything went okay, you
automatically went through the shops and inns and bought what you
needed.

This way, you could have your detailed food system (it was you who
described it some time ago, right?) as well as no need to type
eat/drink/eat/drink at annoyingly high frequency.

--
I refuse to use .sig