[MUD-Dev] Re: Gender specific

Sauron dlove at kusd.kusd.edu
Fri Nov 21 20:33:02 CET 1997

> I never claimed anything other than my own impression.  If you take a
> look at the shops you find that the vast majority of games are clear-
> ly aimed at boys.  You will have to look  very carefully  to find one
> that is not.  Under those circumstances I find it hard to belief that
> a market of games aimed at girls is going to appear anytime soon.

However, you are assuming that what appears to be aimed towards boys to
you is viewed in the same light by everyone. There are many games whose
advertisments really have nothing to do with gender (many of your sims,
and things such as the Lucasarts Xwing/Tie Fighter series).

> No, that was not what I said. I was saying that I got intimidated by
> those stacks of boxes all showing images clearly aimed at boys. Lots
> of machines and explosions, overly muscled male types and nearly na-
> ked women. If I had been looking for a game none of those would have
> appealed to me, and in the mass of unappealing boxes I couldn't find
> a single game that might have been interesting  before I gave up and
> left the shop. I don't fancy myself to be so atypical that my exper-
> ience is not the same for most other women and girls.

That however is you. I know many young women who find machines,
explosions, and especially the overly muscled male types extremely
appealing. In fact, I also know a number who enjoy the Mortal Kombat
series of games, which by your definition is geared only towards the
male audience.

> I do not know about the games themselves,  just about the boxes and
> the fact that I couldn't find a single game that looked interesting
> to me.

So an incredibly good product you would dismiss because you believe that
the current advertising style is not aimed at you? If you really were
interested in buying a game, most likely you would have talked to some
people about it, possibly looked over some reviews of it, and get a demo
if possible. At least that's what I do when I intend to purchase a game.

> I entirely agree with this. However this thread started a long time ago
> with a question how muds could attract a more balanced mix  of male and
> female players. My comment was to be read in that light. If there's but
> one thing to do in a game and that clearly appeals to male players more
> than to female players you should expect a majority of male players. If
> you want to change that,  you ought to do something  about the focus of
> the game.  My suggestion is to put much less emphasis on combat  in fa-
> vour of other interests.

However, if combat is an essential part of a person's theme, they are
not likely to dismiss it as less important than gaining a few more
female players. IMHO there are not that many female players to be
gained, because many with opinions similar to yours refuse to try muds
because they don't believe they are geared towards them. However, that
doesn't mean there aren't many female players out there. I know of many.
Simply put, the ones who aren't playing or at least looking into muds
probably won't anytime soon.

Anyways, the only real way to "gear towards women" in your sense is to
have that idea in mind when developing a setting and theme for a mud.
Many muds (as was mentioned before) are designed by people who want to
make something that would be appealing to them, not that would gain more
female players. Honestly, when I am finished with my MU* I really don't
care if I don't have a single player besides myself, at least I can
acknowledge my (and my team of course) accomplishment and have something
I will enjoy playing.

-Sauron