[MUD-Dev] Communication [was Introductions and..]

Adam Wiggins nightfall at user1.inficad.com
Sat Nov 22 15:29:20 CET 1997

[Caliban Tiresias Darklock:]
> Agreed. However, I haven't seen a whole lot of 'social' discussion on
> most MUDs... mainly discussion *of* the game. Occasionally someone will
> say something like 'Uhhhh huhuhu METALLICA RULES huhuhuh' and then a
> bunch of other people go 'hehehe, yeah, they rule, hehehehe' but that's
> about it. As opposed to most MUSHes I've been on, where it's quite
> common for people to gather in a little cluster somewhere and discuss
> the relative merits of recent movie releases, or debate the historical
> significance of a book or two, or just complain about how bad traffic is
> these days.
>
> (Obligatory disclaimer inspired by similar discussions held in the past:
[snip disclaimer]

Look, Caliban: this is akin to saying, "You know, I've noticed that
whenever blacks get together, all they ever seem to do is talk about
basketball in monosyllabic grunts, while any time caucasian group gets
together, they all discuss the finer points of Shakespear and Descartes
with words of not fewer than five syllables.  Why is that?  DISCLAIMER:
I'm not racist."

A disclaimer does not justify ridiculous or insulting generalizations.
If you can manage to avoid making that kind of statement, then you
avoid both firing up pointless discussions as well as making yourself
look like a religious fool.