[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sun Nov 23 12:23:23 CET 1997

On Sat 22 Nov, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> [Marian Griffith:]

> > Perhaps, but dictating your emtional responses to other characters seems
> > to change a game into story telling. Some hints about (relative) attrac-
> > tiveness  as judged by the ideal image given for that character would be
> > about as far as I am willing to accept in a game.

> Well, the only way I could see that this could be successful would be
> for the game to simulate "animal magnetism" - less like love and more
> like lust.

I would not recommend going even that far. The game might keep track
of what a certain player (character) finds physically attractive and
adjust the description to match.  Whether or not the other character
is attractive  should be entirely up to the player.  It really ought
to matter only to how descriptions of others are presented.

> Thus if Boffo (the character) is attracted to Buffy, he
> may frequently be caught staring in her direction, tripping over his
> own feet when she enters the room, etc.

I think I would be annoyed if the game did that to me.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey