[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Sun Nov 23 23:09:32 CET 1997

Marian Griffith wrote:

> On Fri 21 Nov, Sauron wrote:
> > Marian Griffith wrote:

> > > This is off topic and I know I should not respond to this, but .. why?
>
> > Because it exists? It adds more RL realism to the game and creates
> > different situations and possiblities for character interactions. I
> > think it would be an interesting and possibly enjoyable challenge for me
> > to role play a homosexual or bisexual man.
>
> I am sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant to ask why it should
> be considered a weakness?

I did explain in my post (which is also in this) why I consider it a
weakness.  Childbirth is a coded aspect of my mud, and I intend to use
it as a way to 'live on' after death for non-vampires.  I have already
made a post about my 'emotional reaction' system, which could have some
quite interesting affects.  Falling in love, whilst considered in the
real world to be a 'good thing', has its downfalls.  I intend to play
on these 'bad aspects' as far as manipulation is concerned - and being
able to fall in love with people of either gender gives you an even
broader 'weakness'.  I don't think I can think of any situation in which
one-way love is a good thing.

> > > I think this is all you can reasonably do. Otherwise you are writing a
> > > story, not creating a game.
>
> > I was always of the opinion that muds are supposed to be interactive
> > stories, with the plot following the players choices.
>
> Perhaps, but dictating your emtional responses to other characters seems
> to change a game into story telling. Some hints about (relative) attrac-
> tiveness  as judged by the ideal image given for that character would be
> about as far as I am willing to accept in a game.

Interestingly enough, the 'Dungeon Master' of a WoD rpg is called the
Storyteller.  I think falling for the 'wrong person' is a quite entertaining
notion.  After all, how many times have you looked at someone and said to
yourself "I think I'll fall in love with them"?  Besides, you can pretend
you don't love someone (and just hope they don't notice the way you keep
looking at them and react around them).

I can understand why many people don't like this.  I don't care.

KaVir.