[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Mon Nov 24 00:02:17 CET 1997

Adam Wiggins wrote:

> [Marian Griffith:]

> > > I was always of the opinion that muds are supposed to be interactive
> > > stories, with the plot following the players choices.
> >
> > Perhaps, but dictating your emtional responses to other characters seems
> > to change a game into story telling. Some hints about (relative) attrac-
> > tiveness  as judged by the ideal image given for that character would be
> > about as far as I am willing to accept in a game.
>
> Well, the only way I could see that this could be successful would be
> for the game to simulate "animal magnetism" - less like love and more
> like lust.  Thus if Boffo (the character) is attracted to Buffy, he
> may frequently be caught staring in her direction, tripping over his
> own feet when she enters the room, etc.  Now, Boffo's player may find
> Buffy to be a stuborn and arrogant person, and someone he doesn't
> really want to be around - but this is still completely within the
> realm of RL posibility.  I think most people have been attracted to
> people that they shouldn't or didn't 'want' to be attracted to.
> So you'd have small hints to the player and to the other characters that
> they are attracted to another certain character, but this doesn't really
> limit what that character can do, ie:
>
> Buffy says, 'You moron.  I hate your guts.'
> > slap buffy
> You wouldn't DREAM of doing that!
> > growl buffy
> You let loose a sigh of passion as you stare into Buffy's eyes.
> >
> Buffy grins.
> Buffy attacks you with her broadsword, cleaving into your arm!
> > attack buffy
> You wouldn't DREAM of doing that!
> >
> Buffy cleaves you in the skull with her broadsword.  You are dead.
>
> Well, okay, so the first two are kind of funny, but that's as far as
> I might go with this.

I doubt I will prevent things like this, although I might stop you
initiating combat against Buffy if you love her.  If she attacked you,
your feelings towards her would change pretty fast - and you would
certainly fight back (although with the loss of quite a lot humanity
if you actually killed her).

I can see problems with this, but I'm interested in trying new
approaches to mudding.

KaVir.