[MUD-Dev] Re: Gender specific

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Nov 24 13:01:28 CET 1997

On Monday, November 24, 1997 2:38 AM, Ola Fosheim Grostad
[SMTP:olag at ifi.uio.no] wrote:

> So what is the "missing link"?  Is it only a lack of
> interest, or is it installation.  I mean, I guess an average man in
> his fifties would look at a "Formula 1" type car game and think "That
> could be fun...".  So what keeps him back, is it painful memories of
> prior experience with computers?

Personally, my major obstacle to buying games is the simple fact that every
game manufacturer on the market seems absolutely unable to believe that you
might not want to devote EVERY LAST BIT of your attention to their game.
Phantasmagoria was a decent game, I liked it a lot; but if you tried to
Alt-Tab at the wrong time, it would lock up. Harvester would crash the
whole system under similar circumstances. MYST set my system to 256 color
640 by 480 resolution, which is a real pain in the ass with my preference
for true color 1280 by 1024, and then didn't set it back when I quit the
game. Jedi Knight insists on being the only application I work in. Dungeon
Keeper insists on being the only application I work in. Look, the only time
I use one application and only one application is when Hell has frozen
over, pigs are divebombing the European Union, the moon is in it's seventh
kernel, and Venus is eclipsed by Mars. Get the picture? If I can't
multitask it, I don't use it, and I'm not paying $60 for something I won't
use. ;)

=+[caliban at darklock.com]=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=[http://www.darklock.com/]+=
"It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more
doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than the creation of a
new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by
the preservation of the old institution, and merely lukewarm defenders in
those who would gain by the new one."                      -- Machiavelli
=+=+=+[We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams]+=+=+=+=