[MUD-Dev] Introductions and

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 25 01:17:29 CET 1997

On 22 Nov 97 at 9:38, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Marian Griffith wrote:
> > On Wed 19 Nov, Richard Woolcock wrote:
> >
> > > On the mention of sexuality, I am probably going to code in a couple of
> > > Flaw - homosexual and bisexual.  Not that I have anything against people
> > > of those particular persuasions, but not being able to have children
> > > (homosexual) and being able to be seduced by people of either gender
> > > (bisexual) are what I consider disadvantages.
> >
> > This is off topic and I know I should not respond to this, but .. why?
>
> Assuming a political and social environment similar to the present-day, I
> would certainly consider sexual preferences which diverge from what much
> of society perceives as 'normal' to be disadvantages in these lights.
> Being unable to produce offspring is 'bad' from a biological point of
> view.
>
> Without meaning to stir anyone up, provoke any flammable discussion or so
> forth (I should probably shut up now, actually!): From a number of points
> of view, I could happily believe that bisexuality to some degree is a more
> normal state of being for humans than heterosexuality, BUT society
> perceives the latter as being normal, thus making the former seem
> politically and *morally* unacceptable on several levels.
>
> On the personal level, I hold that moral values are in a state of flux,
> and if they are not, something is wrong.

Hehe.  I'm not responding to flame, really just to add a few personal
opinions in order to provide the thread with an alternative viewpoint
and to add some notes specific to my mud theme.

Firstly, it's my belief that heterosexuality can be the only
acceptable moral lifestyle and only when properly sanctified.
Secondly, moral values are absolutes and inalterable.  Lastly, the
moral choices we make every day are 90% black or white decisions and
only 10% grays, and not the other way around.

And now on to my mud theme...

As some of you might know the mud will be based largely upon the
ancient Greek city-states with a good deal of fantastic mythology
thrown in.  There is a wide variety of social/culture viewpoints
between these city-states.  This includes different systems of
governance, varied viewpoints on slavery, treatment of women, racial
preferences and views on homosexuality.  In some city-states women
are treated as objects and in some they are regarded as equals or and
even superiors.  In some city-states, homosexuality is not tolerated
and in some it is practically a required activity.  Racism plays
itself out on much larger cultural scale pitting the Hellenes,
Aegytians, barbarians and others with varying levels of tolerance.

You shouldn't get the idea that the above items play a pre-eminent
part in one's activities while roleplaying on the mud.  Much of
this is historical backdrop and much of it will be part of NPC
characterizations.  The primary purpose is to provide an environment
that while being at times alien to modern man (perchance one may even
choose to be personally offended), and at other times very familiar.

I too implement a system of talents and flaws yet these are not
personally invasive.  They are also player assigned unless the player
wishs to pick a hidden talent/flaw (usually an instinctual/genetic
one that appears later in a characters lifetime). I don't believe in
automating personal choices and am only planning on automating
actions where the characters instinct clearly has primary control or
character has lost control (drugs, beserk rage, possession, charm,
etc.)

--
Jon A. Lambert

Nature comprehends the visible and invisible Creatures of the Whole
universe. What we call Nature especially, is the universal fire or
Anima Mundi, filling the whole system of the Universe, and therefore
is a Universal Agent, omnipresent, and endowed with an unerring instinct,
and manifests itself in fire and Light. It is the First creature of
Divine Omnipotence.
-----