[MUD-Dev] Re: Less numbers, more roleplaying.

Richard Woolcock KaVir at dial.pipex.com
Thu Nov 27 19:48:15 CET 1997

Appologies for the length of the examples in this mail...

Adam Wiggins wrote:

> [Richard Woolcock:]
> > > of winning.).  A T-Rex just sees 100-200 pound of fresh USDA grade A
> > > human.
> >
> > So called 'Intelligent' mobs should go for the weakest opponent.
>
> They should?  I consider myself intelligent, yet I always consider
> the most dangerous opponent to be my first target in a combat
> situation.

Hmmmm I'm not sure now.  Certainly, you'd be more worried about the
most dangerous opponent, but equally, which would you rather have?

  Little newbie 1 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Little newbie 2 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Little newbie 3 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Powerful character hits you, causing you lots of damage.

  You hit the powerful character, hurting him slightly.

  (repeat above until you or other characters die).

OR...

  Little newbie 1 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Little newbie 2 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Little newbie 3 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Powerful character hits you, causing you lots of damage.

  You hit a little newbie, killing him instantly.

  Little newbie 1 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Little newbie 2 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Powerful character hits you, causing you lots of damage.

  You hit a little newbie, killing her instantly.

  Little newbie 2 hits you, causing you some damage.
  Powerful character hits you, causing you lots of damage.

  You hit a little newbie, killing it instantly.

  Powerful character hits you, causing you lots of damage.

  You hit the powerful character, hurting him slightly.

  (repeat above until you or powerful character dies).

I would say the first was more 'instinctive' and the second
more 'tactical'.  For predators like the T-Rex mentioned
earlier, I would imagine it would go for the nearest opponent
(as was mentioned).  Smaller predators would probably go for
the physically weakest (smallest?) character first (Thus Joe
the level 500 weakling mage would get attacked before Fred the
huge - yet inexperienced - level 1 barbarian).  Only creatures
with supposed 'intelligence' should be able to take into
account things like fighting ability, wizard robes, etc (which
could also make for some interesting ways to avoid fights).  I
wonder if this may also be a possible addition to player-
recognition code - mobs you have soundly beaten up in the past
are unlikely to bother you again.

> Plus, then you get:
>
> < score
> You are level 287.
> < say hey guys, want some quick exp?
> You say, 'Hey guys, want some quick exp?'
> <
> Joe the Newbie says, 'Oh Boy!'
> <
> Joe the Newbie begins following you.
> Boffo the Newbie begins following you.
> Buffy the Newbie begins following you.
> Billy the Newbie begins following you.
> Bernard the Newbie begins following you.
> < tell Bubba heh, heh, just got myself 5 free rounds against the dragon

Or the other alternative...

Joe the Newbie begins following you.
Boffo the Newbie begins following you.
Buffy the Newbie begins following you.
Billy the Newbie begins following you.
Bernard the Newbie begins following you.

30 seconds later...

Info -> Joe has gained a level!
Info -> Boffo has gained a level!
Info -> Buffy has gained a level!