Thief skills, Dream Park and me (again)

Ling K.L.Lo-94 at student.lboro.ac.uk
Sat Nov 29 16:45:58 CET 1997

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997 coder at ibm.net wrote:
> From: jwagner at larry.cc.emory.edu (John Wagner)

[plenty of interesting stuff snipped]

That's all quite cool but I'd imagine that the mud had better support all
those nifty skills.  I've played a few muds where being a thief is a silly
choice if you wanna level lots.  I couldn't fight well, couldn't cast
spells but I was useful for rare occassions for unlocking the few pickable
doors.  Basically, it wasn't worth it.  But if I could set up traps...
*muhahahahaha* Dead useful on a pk mud.  Scaling buildings would be
another useful thing, rooftop chases in the moonlight...

Anyway, the thief mail reminded me about Dream Park for some reason.  It's
three novels by Larry Niven based on a Disney-like place called Dream
Park.  Except the centre attraction is 3 gaming areas fitted with
holographic displays for something very mudlike (more live rpg actually).

Gameworld
~~~~~~~~~
Let's talk about me for 3 hours! (Lord Flashheart -Black Adder Goes Forth)
I just dreamt up a very crude way of representing an irregular container
so I'm gonna send everyone to sleep with it.  Imagine a forest container
(or room if you prefer).  It looks like this:

    123456789

 1  X ****			// X = container origin/handle
 2  ******			// * = Forest
 3   ********   		// very small and cute forest

The above would represented as a series of horizontal lines and edges:

  Line 1: 3 - 6
  Line 2: 1 - 6
  Line 3: 2 - 9

Gedit?  Don't know how it'll cope with something that looks like:

   *********

Then, still in design stages...  any feedback?
Something I borrowed from graphics.

This is the Voice of Fate signing off.  England Prevails.

  |    Ling Lo, freshwater fish (cod variant)     Another 'Screemer!
_O_O_  EEE, Loughborough University, England