[MUD-Dev] Guilds & Politics [was Affecting the World]

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 30 20:07:28 CET 1997

On 26 Nov 97 at 16:22, Mike Sellers wrote:

> I think maybe I've posted on this before; I've definitely spoken in various
> places on the importance of player government.  This allows for people to
> play a variety of sub-games if they choose, or to ignore the whole thing
> almost entirely if they want.  It also provides a great, non-wiz way to
> address various IC greviances, and allows you to put stealing, PKing, etc.,
> in your game without making others effectively defenseless from them (or
> defenseless without deus-ex-machine solutions, such as we see in UO).

I recall these posts in October, "Mud Governance".  My interest is less in
the area of "governing" players or in providing means for players to solve
grievances, although this is a pleasant and not unforeseen side-effect.
I also have no desire to implement a universal mud government or a even
governments designed with the player characters' happiness or freedom in
mind.

My interest lies in implementing separate but inter-dependent political
ecologies (or social ecologies like you mention at the end of this post).
These would form sub-games and players not inclined may opt out of the
sub-games.  Although this would be rather difficult and undesireable to do
in my game, but not for other themes.

[snipped good example of city government]

My game is a collection of city-states with quite variable political
structures.  Underlying your example city system would be subsystems of
merchant guilds, player run organizations, theological systems, military
politics, class politics, etc.  The potential web of interdependent social
structures in a single city is mind-boggling and I feel is great fodder for
game expansion.  Player merchants would play the guild game of aquisition,
while player clerics might play a game of increasing worshippers and
political influence.  Side interests in other games would naturally
develop.  Player merchants and clerics would of necessity take great
interest in the city mayor's policies and may even drive them.  Perhaps the
mayor becomes merely a puppet of the merchant's guild...

> I'll write later (whenI have more time) on the importance of "social
> ecologies."  Just as we have producers, consumers, and decomposers in
> biological ecologies, similar closed-loop cycles are important in online
> societies, even in games.  Many of the social dysfunction problems we have
> are because we do not recognize the importance and position of all the
> social ecological roles, and thus the game quickly moves to an artificial
> point of stability, rather than reaching some sort of homeostatic
> equilibrium.

I look forward to it.  The web of political ecologies does resemble the web
of biological ecologies.  I would also posit that political ecology is
dependent upon economic ecology which in turn is dependent upon
biological/geological ecology.