[MUD-Dev] Hard Sci-fi muds was Character evolution

Brian Price blprice at bedford.net
Mon Sep 1 00:00:59 CEST 1997

> Date:          Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:15:39 PST8PDT
> From:          Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
> At 06:36 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, Brian peirce wrote:
<snip>
> >> Date:          Sun, 31 Aug 1997 16:16:13 PST8PDT
> >> From:          Jeff Kesselman <jeffk at tenetwork.com>
> >> At 04:06 PM 8/31/97 PST8PDT, Brian peirce wrote:
<snip of problem definition,etc >

> >Assuming that the entire (for lack of a better word) section was
> >generated at the same time and the random generator was unique to the
> >generating thread, yes the storage of the seed or starting state of
> >the generator along with the set of player affected objects in the
> >section would suffice.   However  I fear  that we are merely applying a
> >constant divisor to a problem that has no upper bound.
>
> Hmm yo uare sassumoing I THINK that enw seeds get generated and need to be
> stored as "existing".  Iw as thinking more the idea that givn ANY spatial
> coord you do a first pseudo random off that seed and sue that value to
> determine IF there is a planet there, then you do subsequent psuedo randoms
> on teh same seed to populate it.
>
> The existance/nonexistance of the planet is thus implivit in the coord and
> needs no planetary catalog.
>
> Does that sovle your problem?

In short, _YES_!  :)  That is a brilliant solution to an otherwise
rather intractable problem.

Now all that is left is the design of the generator.   I'll have to
think about it for a while, I'm still a bit shocked by your solution.

Brian Price aka Delver <blprice at bedford.net>
                   Brian Price
               <blprice at bedford.net>