[MUD-Dev] Modeling spells/skills as collections of affects

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Sep 1 02:22:02 CEST 1997

On Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:41:21 PST8PDT, "Brian Price"
<blprice at bedford.net> wrote:

>In the codebases I've seen thus far, spells and skills are largely
>hardcoded.  I would like to implement a system where they were instead
>parameterized and stored in the mud's database.  One approach to this
>would be to describe spells and skills as a collection of
>event-dependant affects.  To implement this, the definition of affects
>would need to be expanded a bit, for example, a mud object's location
>would be an affectable state.  Also, there would need to be a system
>of events which would trigger the various affects.

Hmmm...

>Has such a system been implemented elsewhere?  If not, any thoughts on
>how such a system could/should be implemented?

I believe it's called a "MUSH". ;)

I'd like to see such a system myself. However, the problem I've found
with such systems is that they leave EVERYTHING up to the designer...
although Lydia's MUDcore will alleviate that to some degree, but not
much. We're starting to see a lot of good work come out on this sort of
concept, but unfortunately thus far it's all vaporware.

 You see me now, a veteran of a thousand psychic wars. I've been
 living on the edge so long, where the winds of limbo roar. And
 I'm young enough to get involved, too old to see, all the scars
 are on the inside; I'm not sure that there's anything left of me
               -- Blue Oyster Cult, "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"