[MUD-Dev] Virtual World Theory

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Mon Sep 1 19:06:38 CEST 1997

At 06:38 PM 9/1/97 PST8PDT, you wrote:
>On  1 Sep 97 at 11:31, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Sep 1997 08:40:35 PST8PDT, Ola Fosheim Grostad
>> <olag at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>
>Another excellent fictional read in the area of psychopathos and
>psychologists inability to treat it:

Okay, firdt off there is a huge difference betwen a phsyologist adn a
psychiatrist. I assume sicne yo uare expousing so stronmgly you knwocwhat
it is.

Simple fact: Psyhcopharmacology works.
Its still in its infancy but the undisputable fatc is that where we HAVE
been able to isolate the emchanisms invovled and chemcily treat-- cheifl in
teh area s of Chronic Affective Disorder and Psychotic patients, there
results have been remarkable.

I suffered for msot of my life fomr a Major Affective Disorder.  When it
was finalyl disgnosed and treated my entire life changed.  M yabnility to
deal with teh world improved at elast 100%.  I thnak the gods for my 2
little pills I take every night.  The only way i can begin to explain teh
differnece to thsoe wh ohavetn ahd the experience is it was parallel and in
many ways identical to the experience of "Charlie" in Flowers for Algernon.

Psychology has been hampered by the limitation that, without effective
medicatiosn, all they coudl do is catalog symptoms.  That is changing
rapidly.  The DSM IV, thanks to all thats already been elarned from the
research on psychophramacologicals and their effects on the brain is
markedly different form the original DSM.  As science contineus to unravel
the functiosn of the brain through study of these chemicals and the ones to
follow a whole new  branch of true medicine is beign born.

Remmebr where "normal" medicne started though, it was NOt all that different.

>"Confessions of a Crap Artist" by Phillip K. Dick

Dick is a brillaint writer.  Jes also got hsi own problems.  But he
certainyl is bneither a pshycologist nor psychiatrist and I wodner thus how
he can 'confess" for one.

Maybe I should write "Confessions of a Lambert..."  .. purely fictional,
mind you...

>> I think there is far too much effort being invested in changing people's
>> worldviews today.

Im sorry.

We staretd here by discussing a violent, degarding act of agression by one
human being o nanother.

if yo ureally are so concerned with their 'worldview" I suggest you go live
in the society of uncontrolled rapists, mass murderes and such.  I for one
want neither anywhere near anyone I care about.

There are 2 valid reasons in our scoiety to treat someone:
	(1) They wish to chnage their own lives.
	(2) Theya re a danger to others.

Those are the ONLY times a ethical or responsible metnal health
rpofessional; will treat someone.

And I thopught this subjec was over???

JK
Jeff Kesselman