[MUD-Dev] Re:)

Tue Sep 2 08:20:03 CEST 1997

[Jeff K:]
:>Well, actually, no.  The first single-user computer adventure games were
:>created in the 1960's, before D&D even existed.  They have spiritual roots,
:
:First oen I knwo of was Adventrue on the main frame which was well after
:the 1977 publishign of D&D (early 80s I believe in fact.)
:
:Do yo uhave an earlier example?

The classic early examples are the "Scott Adams Adventures". They came
out on casette tapes for the Radio Shack TRS-80 and other computers of
its generation. Before them (I think), there were a small number of
Adventure-style games written in Basic. I might even have one or two
of them sitting around with my CP/M stuff. I vaguely recall one being
called "Island". The smallest had no more than a dozen or two rooms,
and a few very simple puzzles and actions.

P.S. Anyone know if that Scott Adams is the same one who writes "Dilbert"?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA