[MUD-Dev] Hard Sci-fi muds was Character evolution

Miroslav Silovic silovic at helga.zesoi.fer.hr
Tue Sep 2 11:04:37 CEST 1997

> > Hmm yo uare sassumoing I THINK that enw seeds get generated and need to be
> > stored as "existing".  Iw as thinking more the idea that givn ANY spatial
> > coord you do a first pseudo random off that seed and sue that value to
> > determine IF there is a planet there, then you do subsequent psuedo randoms
> > on teh same seed to populate it.
> >
> > The existance/nonexistance of the planet is thus implivit in the coord and
> > needs no planetary catalog.
> >
> > Does that sovle your problem?
>
> In short, _YES_!  :)  That is a brilliant solution to an otherwise
> rather intractable problem.
>
> Now all that is left is the design of the generator.   I'll have to
> think about it for a while, I'm still a bit shocked by your solution.
>
> Brian Price aka Delver <blprice at bedford.net>

Actually this is a standard technique in computer graphics, normally used
to generate procedural textures. In fact, you can look up a bunch of texts
on computer graphics dealing with generating randomized spatial distributions
with required properties. I posted a simple coordinate mingler to this
list some time ago, I think Chris might have it archived (I use the same
code in my raytracer, and it looks... random. :) )

	Miro