[MUD-Dev] MUD Design Fundamentals (Was: Looking for

Tue Sep 2 12:27:53 CEST 1997

[J C Lawrence]
>My approach, much like ColdX, is to use a binary compressed
>storage/runtime format which can be later devolved to a human-readable
>format.  I extend ColdX's model slightly with logging, rollbacks, and
>transaction support.  I haven't wiped a DB in years.

But you are talking application level, right? Task specific even?  Not
general OS-level persistence libraries used during startup development
which is the topic.  Although your system sounds impressive, it isn't
a proof of there being no downs to relying on persistence libraries
only.  And I don't believe Jeff's claims about being able to ignore
the difference between realtime information and nonrealtime in general.
I do believe that for an either limited system or for a taskspecific
system of course, because there you can decide where to make the
separation.

Ola.