[MUD-Dev] Modeling spells/skills as collections of affects

Jeff Kesselman jeffk at tenetwork.com
Tue Sep 2 21:23:18 CEST 1997

At 09:02 PM 9/2/97 PST8PDT, Matt wrote:
>An ugly approach to this problem would be to make all higher level
>functions (like getrand, move_to, attack_this, etc) availible through a
>runtime programming language.  (I suppose this or something similar has
>already implemented, but it'd work better than trying to define the
>effects of new spells before they're written, since it's less limiting.

This is ofcourse all available in ColdC since ColdC is a generic progrmamig
environment you build your core within.  In fact this is repcisely how Im
handling AD&D spells sicne they are each so different from the other.  Each
is a seperate chikd of the "spall" obejct with independant code.

But ist not really all that ugly, if thats what you are tryign to reach.
It can be done witha  proepr and clean object model.

JK
Jeff Kesselman
Snr. Game Integration Engineer
TEN -- The Total Entertainment Network -- www.ten.net