[MUD-Dev] New topic: AI and NPCs

Ned Lovely njl at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Sep 3 19:01:48 CEST 1997

[Ola]
> with multiple attackers (I remember something about up to 3).  From what
> I've heard from other people, jiu-jitsu can be more painful (bending joints
> till the attacker is frozen and cannot move because moving means pain) than
> Judo, but I suspect that may be wrong. There is probably lots of stuff on
> the web on this though.

Please be aware that all of this is a vague recollection of a book on the
subject that I read at least ten years ago... From what I understand,
modern "sport" Judo is formed from 4 out of 5 of the "disciplines" that
its more ...hrm... "practical" ancestor possessed. Each of the disciplines
had a name and a set of manuevers and methods. They covered ground work,
throws, and I don't remember the others.

At any rate, the discarded discipline had a charming name that meant
"fighting dirty". It was the eye-ball-gouging, monkey-picking-the-peaches
sort of ickiness that is usefull in "real" fights.

Sorry if this is rather vague and probably factually flawed. The import
thrust of what I wanted to bring up was that modern Judo is a sanitized
version of its less-civilized ancestor.

--
njl