[MUD-Dev] Character evolution

Thu Sep 4 08:30:33 CEST 1997

[Adam W:] (attribution done the hard way!)

:This is a pretty usual scenario.  The question I pose to you, Jeff, or
:any other admin-type reading: would you be angry at the player?  They
:basically circumvented a major device of the puzzle and allowed themselves
:to get the quest rewards before they really "should" have been able to.
:Would you applaud their inventiveness (while quickly fixing the brownie bug
:to make sure no one else decided to copy the idea), shrug your shoulder
:in indifference, or be angry at the player for not solving the quest correctly
:and what's more, utilizing a known bug in order to do so?

I've never been a read admin, but I've done lots of quest programming.
>From that point of view, I would applaud the solution and fix the problem.
Actually, I might even deliberately leave a hole in the problem so that
others could do the same thing, perhaps with a bit more thought/planning.

Something similar happened in my little world. The "Packrat" NPC can be
told to do things. A player found this out, and proceeded to order her
around, and down into the deep caves, etc., to help out in fighting.
The player was feeling guilty about "cheating". Well, I had already
noticed that you could do this, and had in fact gone in and made some
minor changes to support it better. My position is that I like players
to be inventive and original, and will go to some trouble to support
them, even if it in some way circumvents some artificial limitations.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA