[MUD-Dev] Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting.. [was AI and NPCs]

Thu Sep 4 17:41:00 CEST 1997

>On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, [iso-8859-1] Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
>Yes, I suspect so - Jujitsu seems very much 'active defence' to me, as
>opposed to 'passive defence' and/or 'active attack'. Turning the energy
>that an opponent sends to you in attack form into 'offensive defence' fits
>under the active package quite nicely.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'offensive defence'.  I think the whole
idea is to enable a lightweight person to eliminate agression, hence
you don't try to stop the guy's motion, you just transform his energy,
say by a throw over your own body (actually more like, have him fall over
your waist/back, which as pointed out gives an advantage to smaller
people).  You don't alter his path of motion a whole lot (except he is
going to the ground :), which I think is the main idea in Jiu Jitsu.
The 'pain' thing is simply to not let the hand go after the throw, but
to let your hand slide along his arm, fetching his wrist, bending his
straight arm which you control with your knees, thus, if he tries
something nasty, he'll scream in pain :)  Note that this does not work
well on kids, you may twist their bodyparts till they break without any
serious pain :(  I guess the same is true for really drunk people?

I would essentially think it was passive, as the whole idea is "hey,
the attacker spends a lot of energy attacking you, but why waste
your energy on him?  Through elegance you can elminiate the danger
with minimum effort."  (I suppose the same thing goes for Judo?)
I mean, jujitsu doesn't do much for you if there is no attack, hence
it is passive in a sense.

I guess another way to describe it would be "hey, calm down, you are
just making a fool out of yourself by attacking me". :)

Ola.