[MUD-Dev] MUD Design Fundamentals(Was: Looking for

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 15 01:14:43 CEST 1997

On 11 Sep 97 at 6:06, Ola Fosheim Grostad wrote:
> Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> I believe MUDs differs significantly from most applications.  In most
> applications, you have got some concrete problemspace as the backbone of the
> system. In my view, a MUDs general problemspace mainly consists of users, a
> geography and whatever interaction these users find interesting. The OOA methods I
> know of, won't help a whole lot.

I think OOA/D is ideally suited for this particular problem just
because of mud's potentially vast and abstract problemspace.

> I'm interested in THIS kind of realtime information, as well as whatever happens
> on the clientside (when using an intelligent client). However I believe this
> warrants some special attention in any persistent store, and that was the issue I
> guess.

Do you mean clients that continue to function normally while the
server is down?

Interesting. I have a smart client, but only in the sense that it
parses/formats output and allow mouse input. Otherwise they are quite
dumb.  There is a very small set of static graphics that is shipped
with client.

My mud's time runs at a faster rate than real time and I can't really
think of any reason why I would need external inputs into the server
other than the user clients and my database.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.