[MUD-Dev] PK again (was: Character evolution)

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Sep 17 20:29:29 CEST 1997

On Wed 17 Sep, Matt Chatterley wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
>
> > On 13 Sep 97 at 20:42, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> > >Some folks want to play a mud where it is impossible to hurt other players;
> > >is this possible to achieve in any sort of semi-complex or consistant
> > >game world?

> > Perhaps there is some base principle at work here.

> > As the implementation of realism is increased, the chances and
> > methods of inflicting pain are increased either directly or
> > indirectly.

> Vastly so. The more and more realistic you make anything (within any
> theme), the more ways you provide for people to be directly and indirectly
> injured by others. Wether PK is possible or not - remember these other
> 'indirect' (or 'consequential') ways of killing, since they are extremely
> hard to stamp out. Less so than if you have 'optional' PK, mind you, since
> you can usually get away with 'if a player is the root cause.. do not hurt
> players' as a universal rule, which, while it may be daft in some
> situations, is not as daft as only hurting some players.

> Hence my reasoning for not stopping PK in any way shape or form (but then,
> it will always be dangerous - a well equipped newbie would be a match for
> a moderately experienced by poorly equipped player). Avoid angry mobs if
> possible.

In my thinking PK is not a problem with abilities but with mentality.
That means the prevention should be handled through administration
rather than through the code. A game mechanic that makes fighting
other players dangerous is not going to deter unstable or plain
obnoxious players.

> You pays your money, you takes your choice, basically. I feel similarly,
> and want to allow full on PK (I don't actually expect it to happen,
> though, since the consequences in a safe area will probably be lethal, and
> the result of this removes you from the game for some time - the 'arse'
> minded player who likes to chain kill people will have to actually play
> after the kill to get back into the game).

That will prevent the mild cases. But the truly obnoxious (insert your
favourite expletive) player is going to just write off a character and
create a new one. Short of sitebanning nothing is going to stop those.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey