[MUD-Dev] Affecting the world

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 17 22:39:59 CEST 1997

On 17 Sep 97 at 10:10, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> I consider the vast majority of other MUD players to be idiots or
> bungholes, so I'm pretty much stuck working solo, period. On a game with
> 400 people logged on and at least half of them stupid, with half the rest
> idling and half the rest acting like total jerks, that leaves 25 people,
> and in all likelihood many of those are staff. So there are perhaps 15
> decent characters I'd enjoy playing with, and chances are they're all
> significantly different in level (many of them undoubtedly Avs, and all of
> them already firmly entrenched in a community where they don't want much of
> anything to do with people sitting around on level 10 or something) --
> which means I basically *can't* play with them, even if I could convince
> them that I'm a decent enough guy. Which is why my characters on MUDs tend
> to get to level 30 or so and then stop, because above that it becomes very
> difficult to 'solo' much of anything that can move you upward in level in
> less than a week and a half of effort. This becomes tiresome, so I tend to
> throw out the character. It's not like it matters whether he stays around
> or not.

Sorry I felt a song coming on.
<This is intended as good clean silliness> :)

Imagine there's no levels
It's easy if you try
No newbies below us
Above us only diety
Imagine all the characters
Cooperating every day...ay...ay

Imagine there's no resets
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to repeatably kill and die for
And unique equipment too
Imagine all the mobiles
Living in ecology...ee...ee

Imagine no equipment restrictions
I wonder if you can
No need for inventory and classes
Encumbrance limits for every man
Imagine all the players
roaming all the world....

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll login with us
And the world will mud as one.

*giggle* *splurgh*

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.