[MUD-Dev] Something complete different

clawrenc at cup.hp.com clawrenc at cup.hp.com
Fri Sep 19 15:04:15 CEST 1997

In <Marcel-1.26-0917212045-313Ky&5 at Gryphon.knoware.nl>, on 09/17/97
   at 02:26 PM, Marian Griffith <gryphon at iaehv.nl> said:

>On Tue 16 Sep, Brandon J. Rickman wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Sep 97 21:53:33 MST, cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
>>  (Chris Gray) wrote:

>> Happy Forestland
>> You stand in a clearing in the middle of Happy Forestland.  The sun is
>> shining on the happy green trees.
>> Your movement is slightly hampered by the rotting corpses of several
>> thousand dead bunnies.
>> A fluffy bunny is here.

>I would hazard that in any situation remotely resembling reality a
>corpse would not stay around very long. Scanvengers would soon finish
>the bigger parts of it,  then worms and insects  would remove the
>remaining  eadible stuff.  By that time things are already so small
>that they are subject to being moved around by small animals  and
>even by wind.  Unless the corpse was very large, e.g. human sized or
>bigger, it is unrecognisable within a matter of days.
>Another problem here is,  of course,  where all those fluffy bunnies
>come from. They ought to be either extinct, or evolve into killer
>bunnies that hunt newbie characters.

<bow>

You are following my own thoughts here.  I've been doing some off-time
reading sparked by a couple comments here on list.  I'm starting to
think about mobile types which track their own success/failure forms
and attempt to evolve over generation to better surviving forms (Von
Neuman style).

The sight of an over-muscled armoured and beweaponed Conan being offed
by a little fluffy white bunny which has learned as a species how to
survive in a bunny-killing world begs to be released.

>There is use for corpses if it is going to act as 1) food source for
>(invisible) scavengers   and 2) as a gruesome kind of fertiliser for
>the soil.
>After a war the population of crows and vultures ought to prosper :)
>and grass should grow more abundantly on the former battlefield.

Poppies on the battlefields of WW1?

J C Lawrence                           Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                           Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------------(*)               Internet: clawrenc at cup.hp.com