[MUD-Dev] games gender bias (Re: Affecting the world)

Michael Hohensee michael at sparta.mainstream.net
Sat Sep 20 22:48:57 CEST 1997

Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 1997 20:52:02 PST8PDT, clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:
>
> >This begs the question:
> >
> >  Is sexual diversity in a game's player base a Good Thing?
> >
> >followed by:
> >
> >  Is sexual diversity in a game's player base a desirable thing?
> >
> >There is a lot to be argued on either side of both questions.
>
> Sexual diversity anywhere you spend a reasonable amount of your time is
> a Good Thing, because if there isn't any then people start rumors about
> you... ;)

I'd be inclined to say "who cares?"  After all, many women find dikus
interesting, if only for the social aspect.  Yet where does the social
aspect come from but other players?  Most of the women I know who play
muds are perfectly happy with socializing with the males/females who
play them.

Honestly, the goal here is to write a way cool, *fun* game.  Fun is
subjective, therefore, you'd probably find it more rewarding to write
something that *you* like.  Regardless of what sex/age you are.

Michael Hohensee       michael at sparta.mainstream.net
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/9025/
      Finger me for my PGP Public Key, or use:
http://sparta.mainstream.net/michael/pgpkey.txt