[MUD-Dev] Affecting the world

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 21 15:17:31 CEST 1997

On 17 Sep 97 at 23:15, Chris Gray wrote:
> [Jon L:]
>
> :Why not provide guilds with mud mechanical structures and enforcement
> :mechanisms?  Allow the guild leadership positions to be occuppied by
> :NPCs and PCs with access to those mechanics.
>
> As a non-role player, I would find it difficult, if not impossible, to
> play successfully in a game where it was entirely up to the players to
> "implement" such things in their imaginations. I'm only human (if that!),
> and forget many things - I *would* make mistakes, lots of them. To me,
> computers and software are helpers, for many things I do, and I suspect
> I would be quite lost if they didn't help me play the game, by keeping
> me in line with the myriad of details, many of which would be unimportant
> to me (or perhaps not even noticed!), but important to other players.

Part of the idea of having positions in my mud is to give those
holding those positions the ability to execute commands that set up
or enhance player interactive events.  Some of these have marginal or
no use in an non-RP game, that is they primarily influence social
dynamics.  While other commands influence world dynamics within that
positions' scope and may likely have game influence.

Consider the following example position given abilities:

position - King of Argos

These have stronger social/rp influence than game effects:

commands -
PROCLAMATION <string> - when this command is issued, several heralds
are created which begin to move throughout the city of Argos
during the next few mud hours proclaiming the <text>.

FEAST - this command brings up a menued dialog in which one might
select the purpose of the feast, the guest list, the menu, the
date and time, etc. Messengers are sent out with invitations,
appropriate NPC activity is begun within the king's palace, several
NPCs are sent out into Argos shops to purchase random foodstuffs from
shopkeepers, the king's treasury is depleted to reflect this.

And a position command with strong game influence:

TAX <amount> - when this command is issued several NPC tax collectors
and guardsmen make the rounds of Argos demanding gold or equivalence
from every shop or residence within the city.  The booty is carried
back to the palace and placed in the treasury room.  Internal a list
is made of those who pay and those who do not.  Those who do not
pay or are "conveniently" absent remain on the visitation list for
the next mud day.  This continues with increasing rudeness until a
visitation threshold has been reached in which non-payers are
forcibly imprisoned, warrants issued or property forcibly
confiscated.  If the tax command's amount is unbearably high or too
frequent, at thresholds NPC simmobs are likely to be created and
attempt to attack the palace or otherwise capture the king with
random side-effects of imprisonment, exile, execution, etc.  These
rebellions can be thwarted with enough player help/NPC guard help but
will increase in frequency and size.

Grok well!

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.