[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 21 21:06:38 CEST 1997

On 19 Sep 97 at 10:28, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:
> On Friday, September 19, 1997 4:43 AM, Miroslav Silovic
> [SMTP:silovic at petra.zesoi.fer.hr] wrote:
> > you'd do this exactly like every seasoned player
> > would do on any MUD in existance - you'd ask for an admin favor.
>
> Wrong. I never ask for admin favors. Ever. No matter how well I know the
> admin. Because this sort of practice leads to favoritism, is inherently
> unfair, and dammit if you're treating the rest of the players like this
> then that's how *I* ought to be treated. And if I don't like it, I'll
> leave. Asking for admin favors is a form of cheating. It's like sucking up
> to the DM at a tabletop game. Ever had a player mention the ten bucks you
> owe him just before attempting something close to impossible that requires
> a DM ruling? I don't borrow money anymore. Period.
>
> Likewise, any policy which requires selective enforcement in order to
> succeed is inherently flawed and should be reconsidered.

I think a good administrator will use favoritism wisely when the
interests of them game warrant it.  Yes there ARE certain types
of games where favoritism is very bad form.  I don't think these
apply to a mud where role-playing is a primary or sole activity.
Granting the requests of a good established role-player for a quick
character approval or the ability to multiplay several characters or
NPCs at once can be very GOOD for the game and other players
enjoyment.  Yes it's definately "unfair", but the blind and literal
following of policy can also turn off good players.  There is a
difference in the way you treat an annoyingly obnoxious new player as
opposed to well-established and liked player who has just had a
uncharacteristic fit of buttheadedness.  You delete/ban the first
without further thought, you command the latter to log off and take a
break (or whatever seems appropriate).

>tell bob "You are being rude and annoying tonight.  I'm logging you
off now.  DO NOT come back until tomorrow".
>save player bob
>disconnect bob
>set lockout on bob 24 hours

This IS favoritism and it's not a bad thing for the game.  One should
also be wise enough to recognize the player who begins to shows signs
of expected favoritism or what I call a "learned" ego that begins to
expect the bending of the rules.  In short, I believe reprimands
should be one-sided commandments from administrators on high without
any pretext of discussion.  Players will learn that the admin can be
fair and benevolent on occasion, and it is fatal to provoke further
discussion after a ruling. (this may sound familar ;)

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.