[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Mon Sep 22 08:21:12 CEST 1997

[Caliban:]
:However, there is flexibility through 'emote' and 'say' type commands.
:Neither of these map well to a graphic interface. While you can make a
:GUI that handles speech, it will be terribly unsuitable for
:communication with polayers as opposed to NPCs. I'm not saying that
:there should be a HUGE command set (although this is more or less what
:NLP seems to be directed towards in most current efforts), but that from
:a GUI it is pretty close to impossible for me to communicate with other
:players effectively. Large numbers of socials are a stopgap measure, but
:still end up being inadequate.

Since we're talking about usability, lets turn this around. Start with
a client that opens a text window on the display. You type type commands
into it and see text output. It provides input history, scrollable
output history, etc. Now, what can we add to that client that will make
the game more accessible to some types of beginners? What is one of the
most common things that is done on most MUDs? My guess is that, assign
from the emotes and socials on an RP MUD, the most common thing is
simply moving around. That can be hard for people who have trouble with
left/right (and there are lots!), and for people who haven't been in the
game long enough to have memorized the map, and so have to read the
detailed descriptions over and over in order to figure out where to go.

This is exactly what I aimed to assist with my "graphics-aided" client.
I open another window, which I divide horizontally in two. The left half
is used for scenario-generated maps, which are totally ugly, but very
useful in orienting oneself - you can see which directions have unhidden
exits. The right half has a set of clickable buttons for the various
directions, and a central one for "look around". The final step was to
enable single-keystroke commands - you can use the numeric keypad for
moving - just use the key that is in the proper relative direction from
the '5' key. Another addition for mouse-users - allow clicking on the
map area to move the character in the indicated relative direction.

The result is, in my opinion, quite worthwhile. Navigation is a lot
easier, and you don't have to keep reading already-read long descriptions.

Has this become a "graphical MUD"? You judge. Can you do less with it
than a straight-text MUD? No, since you still have full access to the
text window. Is it easier for many to use than a straight-text MUD? I
would answer that with a strong yes.

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA