[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 22 16:41:20 CEST 1997

On 22 Sep 97 at 8:31, Koster, Raph wrote:
> On Sunday, September 21, 1997 8:19 AM, Ola Fosheim
> Grostad[SMTP:olag at ifi.uio.no] wrote:
> > Of course, there is no problem preventing scripting with a
> graphical
> > interface (and an obscure internal protocol). ;->
>
> Wish this were in fact the case. But you can script a graphical
> interface just fine. Perhaps not to the depth that you can script a
> more easily parsable text interface, but certainly enough. :)

Aye.  I find myself grudgingly acknowledging this.  I had included
this as one of my "advantages" in supporting your own client.  On
reflection methinks not.  Scripting a GUI can be done quite easily
with the proper tools (even while using the custom client).
Scripting a graphical interface to a graphical mud poses more
challenges than scripting a graphical interface to a text mud.
In fact a significant portion of my work at my current client is
involved with creating GUI interfaces into existing menued and
full-screen text-based mainframe applications.

--
Jon A. Lambert

If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself.