[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Sep 23 14:07:00 CEST 1997

On Tuesday, September 23, 1997 4:48 AM, Chris Gray
[SMTP:cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA] wrote:

> This is exactly what I aimed to assist with my "graphics-aided" client.
> I open another window, which I divide horizontally in two. The left half
> is used for scenario-generated maps, which are totally ugly, but very
> useful in orienting oneself - you can see which directions have unhidden
> exits. The right half has a set of clickable buttons for the various
> directions, and a central one for "look around". The final step was to
> enable single-keystroke commands - you can use the numeric keypad for
> moving - just use the key that is in the proper relative direction from
> the '5' key. Another addition for mouse-users - allow clicking on the
> map area to move the character in the indicated relative direction.

Remove the map window, and you have Nick Gammon's MUSHclient. Or keep the
map window, and you have a reasonable approximate of zMUD with its
automapper ;)

> Has this become a "graphical MUD"? You judge. Can you do less with it
> than a straight-text MUD? No, since you still have full access to the
> text window. Is it easier for many to use than a straight-text MUD? I
> would answer that with a strong yes.

I think I already said that the client and the server themselves are more
or less out of the scope of the thread, except where they specifically
impact the MUD's command interface. Most clients (even straight telnet
clients like NetTerm) allow you to create 'macros' whch will let you do
much of the above, and don't require programming to do it; MUSHclient even
allows you to reassign all the function keys, all the numeric keypad keys,
and even several keyboard shortcuts. All of this is done through a series
of dialog boxes which are easy to use and require no actual programming,
merely pressing Control-G or selecting 'Game -> World Settings' from the
menu. the problem with tying your game to one client is that you create an
ingrained O/S war; I would *rather* see an add-on client for the game which
has a series of additional functions that you can turn on or off. The
add-on client could connect to an alternate port on the server, say the
usual telnet port + 1, and send and receive coded data via some proprietary
protocol... if you release the specifications of that protocol to the
public, others could develop for it, and you might end up with a larger
installed base of clients which would end up being a Good Thing. You could
also select an existing protocol for it, which would be suited to the
medium; this could also jump-start your efforts in developing for it.

Hey, this is a really nifty idea. I like it. I'm going to go think about it
some more, and maybe come back with more thoughts... does anyone else think
the idea of a 'client port' and 'plugin port' would be useful? I'm really
starting to see a lot of possibilities for this -- even under a text
environment, you could have a TSR type popup program that gave you some
additional info. Given a good protocol, you could allow all sorts of
information exchange. I'd suggest that the port not actually be used to DO
anything (although one program could certainly handle both ports for
automation of the session), but just to exchange data. I like this idea a
LOT. Cool. :)