[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Tue Sep 23 19:47:02 CEST 1997

[Travis C:]

:								Hmm....
:perhaps messages from picking something up should say something like, "Joe
:picks up the second ball" in these sorts of situations?  A character
:dropping
:an item shouldn't rearrange the order of things -- the dropped item can be
:put on the end of the list.  Thus, picking up items is the only thing that
:can actually change the position of an item in the list.

Idea stolen - I just went and added it to my scenario. I need another
builtin function before I can do it properly - currently it will only
add the English form of the position if the player specified one on the
command. I need a "CountOccurrences", so I can cheaply tell if the item
was the only one - no point in saying "first" when there is only one!
Wait - I can just see if there is one in the list afterwards...

:- A view of the world which varies for different characters.  This is only
:  somewhat a user interface issue, but I feel that it's easier to imagine
:being
:  a different race if the game can somehow give you the feeling of being
:  something other than human.	Basically, I'd like descriptions to vary
:  according to the character's senses, size, etc.  For example, where a
:human
:  character might get:
:
:    You're standing in a small, walk-in freezer, dimly lit by a single bare
:light
:    bulb.  A puddle of what looks like blood is steaming slightly on the
:floor.
:
:  A player who was playing a cat might see:
:
:    You're standing in a huge, cold room, lit by a single bare light bulb.
:A puddle
:    of what looks like blood is steaming slightly on the floor.  The room
:smells
:    of fresh blood.
:
:  Of course, this is much easier said than done.  I have ideas on how to do
:it that
:  ought to work -- the primary problem is that builders would need to write
:  more description than they currently do, and would need to mark the
:conditions
:  under which some parts of the description can be seen.

Doesn't Nathan have something like this? Nathan? Or am I just remembering
some wishes from previous discussions?

--
Chris Gray   cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA