[MUD-Dev] To flame or not to flame (was: Usability and ...)

Nathan Yospe yospe at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 25 10:42:23 CEST 1997

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 clawrenc at cup.hp.com wrote:

:I know that in at least 5 seperate cases discussions on this list were
:responsible for different members scrapping or rewriting large parts
:of their current server project.  I've done it more than once.
:Effectively I'm now scrapping almost my entire server based on
:discussion on this list as I want to be able to implement ideas my old
:model was incapable of supporting.  Nathan has commented similarly (I
:think we were responsible for 3 compleat rewrites he said once?) on
:this list, as also has AlexO.

I think I hold you guys responsible for five of the eight rewrites at this
point. Though, I must admit, only the first three were things you said.
Later ones are because of things *I* said on the list, that made me go,
"and then... oh. Hmm. Let me get back to you.", followed by a lot of
tinkering, and ultimately a scrap and redo. I don't think any of my
classes have survived from longer than a couple versions ago.

:In games like this the idea can be a lot more important than the code.
:However, as Raph said, ideas are cheap, its implementation (ie design)
:that's expensive.  Create an idea, support it with design...

Create an idea, solidify it with design, test it with experiment, support
it with implementation.

--

"You? We can't take you," said the Dean, glaring at the Librarian.
"You don't know a thing about guerilla warfare." - Reaper Man,