[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is suppo

Travis Casey efindel at polaris.net
Thu Sep 25 20:08:27 CEST 1997

clawrenc at cup.hp.com <clawrenc at cup.hp.com> wrote:
>What is wrong with:
>
>  > get rock
>  Do you want the:
>    1) stone
>    2) pebble
>    3) gem
>    4) boulder
>    0) Cancel command
>  >

>?
>
>No ambiguity, simple interface, obvious, easily learnable,
>predictable...

The "cancel command" part seems to imply a modal interface, which can be bad
in a time-intensive situation, such as combat.  Also, this could be annoying
if the command was typed by accident... for a somewhat silly example:

The orc draws his sword!

> weld sword
Do you want to weld the:
  1) long sword (in scabbard)
  2) two-handed sword
  3) short sword
  0) cancel

The orc attacks you!

> wield sword
I'm sorry, that isn't one of the options.

The orc strikes you with his sword, cutting your arm!
You swing a fist at him, but miss.

> 0
Command canceled.

The orc cuts your leg with his sword.