[MUD-Dev] Usability and interface and who the hell is supposed to be playing, anyway? (Was: PK Again)

Michael Hohensee michael at sparta.mainstream.net
Fri Sep 26 08:56:47 CEST 1997

In <E0xDotA-0004Hx-00 at crucigera.fysh.org>, on 09/24/97
   at 08:46 AM, Maddy <maddy at fysh.org> said:

>Imagine race X is at war with race Y.  It takes a lot of the fun out
>of things, if you can sneak up to race X's headquarters and have a
>good listen to what they're all planning for tomorrow.  The way I've
>got languages planned out is that each letter maps to another letter
>(although I'm probably going to use groups of letters).  If I say
>"Hello world" in human, it might appear to an elf as "Ifmmo xpsme".

In that case, you may want to give each race a "battle language" as well
as their spoken language (idea from Dune).  Otherwise, some clever human
could learn to decipher the language based upon everyday conversation or
interception of everyday conversation with elves.

Perhaps the battle language could be represented by a short (30-90) list
of words that get encoded to something completely random.  These words
could be battle specific words, ie: love isn't going to be among them.
:)

Michael Hohensee       michael at sparta.mainstream.net
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/9025/
      Finger me for my PGP Public Key, or use:
http://sparta.mainstream.net/michael/pgpkey.txt