[MUD-Dev] OT: BBSs, etc (Was: (fwd) **NOTICE REGARDING YOUR SEARCHLIGHT , SOFTWARE**)

s001gmu at nova.wright.edu s001gmu at nova.wright.edu
Sun Aug 2 23:33:45 CEST 1998

On Sun, 2 Aug 1998, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> A BBS is a self-contained online information service,
> typically running on one or more personal computers, that communicates using
> direct-dial telephone lines.

I think it's quite telling that they have to explain what a BBS is, in
this web-based world.

Ah well.  Such is the nature of progress.  Not 5 years ago, anyone who
would have gotten this message would have known exactly what a BBS was.
I can't remember the last time I saw a local BBS listing in a computer
store... heck, I can't remember the last time I went looking for one...

*sigh*

-Greg, who is far too young to be reminiscing so.