[MUD-Dev] Re: Output Classification Notes, version 061098

J C Lawrence claw at under.engr.sgi.com
Mon Aug 3 13:02:58 CEST 1998

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 00:07:32 -0400 (CST)
Mike L Kesl<mlkesl at cpinternet.com> wrote:

> One system I have been considering is to just use special prefixes
> before output to distinguish it and all the client to do the work,
> parsing the output's prefix and deciding where it goes from
> there. This option still requires a list of the output types
> however, and that is the main function of this document. Using this
> system the dumb telnet connection would simply have the prefixes
> stripped. Not sure about this implementation.

Rather than a line-tagged structure as you suggest I would be more
tempted by a more structural even SGML-derived form (eg the whisper
downed out by the noisy waterfall).  There's extensive available code
to support the area, and some sort of interpretive nesting seems far
too valuable not to use.

J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw at null.net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder at ibm.net
---------(*)                     Internet: claw at under.engr.sgi.com